Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

New Garage Project

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Merclb56 
#1 ·
I kind of outgrew the garage attached to my house, so this summer I built a 64x40 garage out back. Trying to keep cost down I basically had it framed. I just finished doing the soffit and siding. The garage doors were just installed today. In the next few months I'll be working on the wiring and insulation. Anyways I took a bunch of pictures of the process. Here are just a few.

Old 12x20 shed that was out back. I braced it so we could move it out of the way. I also cut down a ton of trees next to it.

Stumps all removed and trenches dug for footings and the walls

Cement being poured.

Framing started

See less See more
#2 ·

This is the 2nd floor. It's going to be used for a small woodshop/storage. I'm also having a garage door on the end so I can get a nice draft if I want, and to be able to load stuff in at the top.

Shot of downstairs. On that wall in the background will be a bathroom with storage up above.

Pic of siding part way done. I did all the metal bending myself and siding myself. My cousin let me borrow his lift basket which worked really well for the peaks.

And finally pics of it all sided with garage doors installed.

So far I'm really happy with it. There is still a lot of work to be done. It's very time consuming and I'm pretty broke right now but it's worth it to me. I spend most of my free time in the garage as it is, so I might as well have a nice one:)

#3 ·
Amazing!

#5 ·
Mine was more expensive than I realized. (around $100k total is what I'll estimate) But I also had about $18k in driveway/topsoil work done at the same time. It's all prepped for pavement now but I probably won't do that for a few years. I also opted for commercial garage doors and my entry doors are all composite so they will never rot. A 2 car garage should be really cheap. It also adds to property value and I plan on doing more car stuff on the side now, maybe even storing a few friends cars for some money over the winter. Eventually I will make it pay for itself:) I already have 2 3000gts I acquired to partout but I'm not touching them until I get this place wired up and insulated.

#6 ·
Congrats man, i'm super jealous! A guy I work with is literally finishing up his garage in his backyard but it's a 2 door and smaller than yours.

drgonzon3000 I think my co workers garage is going to cost him about 8-15K for everything. It depends on where you live also, here in GA you can find good work for great prices compared to other states. But I think he's doing the electrical himself.

#10 ·
Honestly I could do about 60% of the work myself. I did construction for years and I regularly work with habitat for Humanity here in NC on new home builds. I would basically need someone to do foundation, slab frame, truss and roofing "Just cause I don't want to do the roofing..LOL" I can do the rest myself including electrical and plumbing. That is the route I probably will take when the time comes. Then 3-5 years later I would have it completed!! :p

#11 ·
May I ask why did you do the forms instead of cinder block? It's 3x the price here in nj. 100k for rought framing and roofing is a rip off, I hope you didn't pay that to your contractor, I'm doing construction for 15 years and started to flip houses few years back, I don't want to be smart ass but for 50k I am doing complete updating kitchen, granite, rudd cooling/heating, new baths (2), new floors, painting, trim and some landscaping and that's all including new appliances, and that's without me touching hvac, floors, tiles painting and landscaping. https://youtu.be/HbxHE1xAaK0

#12 ·
They are frost walls so they go down about 4 feet and sit on top of a footing. The person who did it was a family friend who owns an excavating company so he was able to get me a better deal than everyone else. I also shopped around for materials to get the best pricing.

Breakdown:

- 23k for concrete and concrete work. Floor poured about 6-7".
- 9.5k delivered for 33 trusses with 18x8 storage up above and rated at 40 lbs per sq foot. Came from Canada as they were cheaper than buying locally
- 16k Other building materials (5/8 plywood for roof, 3/4" plywood for 2nd floor, 2x6's for walls 16" OC, 7/16 plywood for exterior walls, house wrap, 5 vinyl windows, 2 composite doors, nails, shingles, roof paper, ice and shield strip, drip edge etc..
- 15k labor to frame walls, install trusses, put in 2nd floor, do roof, build stairs, frame in bathroom, install windows/doors, wrap building.
- 3k for siding/soffit/metal - I installed this myself and and borrowed a brake from a friend for the metal bending
- 5k for four 10x10 insulated commercial garage doors and one 7x7 garage door for upstairs
- 18k in driveway work (prepped for pavement, also brought in topsoil and ran conduit for power/cable out back, ran water line, ran and installed septic line). This was the same excavating company. They widened my front driveway, ran it out in back of my house, then gave me a 64x40 pad right in front of the garage.
- 1k for a natural gas line (only one certified guy around here could do it. Line is about 2" thick with fused ends)

That puts me around 90k. I still need to do all the electrical, all the insulation, lighting, and plumbing hookups. My bathroom is even going to have a shower. My quote for insulation is around 5k. I just bought all the wiring I'll need for around $500. My gf's dad works at an electrical store so he's getting me outlets/boxes/ceiling fans etc.. at his cost. Wiring was cheaper at lowes though as it's on sale right now and I had a 10% off coupon so I picked that up yesterday. My cousin outfits dairy operations installing stalls/automatic milkers, led lighting etc... so he's going to give me a deal on the ceiling lights. He also let me borrow his lift basket when I did the siding/soffit. And he's going to let me borrow his scissor lift when I do insulation/ceiling install.

So I think I've built it about as good as possible with the money I had. I could have saved some if I did the framing myself but not in the timeframe I needed it done. Made more sense for me to just hire someone that does it every day. Plus the labor I paid was a good deal based on other quotes I got (15k vs some other quotes more than double that). I could have bought a badass supra instead but that will have to wait.

Right now I'm debating what to do for the walls. I may just plywood and paint. My cousin said I should look into white steel sheets though. They are more expensive but would last forever and I wouldn't have to paint anything. I did siding on the outside so it blends into our neighborhood better.

#13 ·
Your prices don't look out of line. Not sure why someone thinks a remodel of an existing structure is comparable to a greenfield construction of your monster. I knew concrete alone would be more than most people's garage builds. You didn't disappoint with 7" thick!

#14 ·
Your garage is bigger than my 950 square foot house. Can I move into it? :D

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Outstanding garage. Job well done. People just don't understand what things cost, shit adds up real fast.

FYI. I'd just sheetrock it, cheapest way and looks clean.

When I extended my house 1100sq.ft. back in 2002 I GC'd the whole thing hiring sub's and did alot of the work myself like you. It cost me 30k back then, then another 30k on the kitchen alone...lol

#16 ·
Great garage. Well done.
Just for interest, 40' x 30' in Australia ( All steel ) was $50,000 completed.
So I think you did really well.
Having some room and a hoist makes owning a car easy.

#19 · (Edited)
Well after 2 more years of working on it I thought I would post an update. I got everything wired up, insulated, sheetrocked, mudded/taped, painted, and the lights up. I ended up doing everything myself including the mudding/taping. I had hired someone to do the job, they showed up for 2 days and I never saw them again.

I got the led light fixtures from my cousin. He outfits and installs dairy farms. I was referred to someone to to the natural gas lines. When I talked to him he was in the process of renovating a drug companies warehouse in Burlington and they told him to get rid of the old heaters. So I ended up with a free Modine selaed combustion heater as well as spare. I'm keeping it at 51 degrees now and I just turn it up when I go out there. I turned one corner of it into a gym area and it's been pretty comfortable even at 51.

Right now I'm slowly organizing it. I still need to do airlines and figure out what I'm doing for lifts. I want to get a sandblast cabinet eventually too. Aside from that I still have the bathroom to do, and I want to put something on the floor upstairs so it's not just bare plywood. One room is a woodshop, and the other is my spare parts room so I want something durable.

I did unfaced insulation on the downstairs walls with plastic on the front. For the ceiling I did plastic and blow in insulation. I had to add these black vent things to keep the soffit breathing and to keep the insulation in place.

It was a good leg day getting all this upstairs. I bought it from lowes using some coupon codes I found online and they had free machine rental when you buy over 15 bags.

All blown in. It worked really well to fill the cavity between the upstairs floor and the downstairs ceiling. I shoved the hose half way under and slowly pulled it out as it filled in. Then I did the same to the other side.

I used faced insulation upstairs. The walls I added 3 rows of 2x4 bracing. In between the bracing I ran metal fencing wire to keep the insulation from pealing off the paper and falling backwards over time. Side note if you ever order storage trusses for a garage and you plan on insulating the upstairs... Pay a little extra and have them make the walls 2x6. My trusses had 2x4 walls and I wanted to use thicker insulation. I ripped some 2" strips and added them onto the back side of each wall stud to get the wall thickness I wanted.

Some people thought it was funny to add a 7x7 garage door upstairs. Well it saved me from lugging sheets of sheetrock and plywood up. The delivery company was able to boom it up and I slide everything off. I used 10' and 12' sheets upstairs. Downstairs I used 16' sheets.

#20 ·
Upstairs heater. I ended up buying this one second hand.

Downstairs after I finished all the taping/mudding/sanding. Shout out to my cousin for letting me borrow one of his scissor lifts for a few months.

after lights were installed. I did a zone for each bay and then 3 pairs of lights that run lengthwise down the center of the garage. I have those lights wired up so I can operate them from both entrance doors, as well as at the top of the stairs. That way if I go upstairs while it's light out and it turns dark... I can turn the downstairs lights on.

After all the plywood and trim was painted.

My current workout area. I want to add a cross bar from the rack to the corner of that ledge so i can hang a punching bag.

I picked up this parts washer for $20 off craigslist. It's an Graymills HK150 model that has had the same design for decades. It's made for solvents too unlike the cheap water based ones tractor supply and hf sell. It was listed for over a month. I have no idea how it was still available.

I got the air compressor and tire changer/balancer wired up. I still need to anchor the tire balancer, I just need to make sure it's where I want it first.

Upstairs parts room. I need to find a way to better organize all the door panels to keep them safe. I did buy some storage bags for them.

#22 ·
DAAAAMMMMNN! Badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
the only other person I knew to have such an amzing garage aka "car hold" was Craig up in enumclaw washington.

You sir... just won the solid gold kewpie doll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.