My 'screw selling or bailing, I'm gonna fix it' thread. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW

Drives: 92 VR-4
FluffyCow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default My 'screw selling or bailing, I'm gonna fix it' thread.

So, last spring I skipped time. Some of you may have seen me crying about it/putting my vr4 up for sale (again) only to bail on selling it (again), and since I can't bear to part with it, and have my own home with a garage(small as it may be), I figured I'll start a fix it/build/repair thread. Car is at my house now, but not in garage yet as its a flippin' mess at the moment. Will get pictures when I get the car in the garage.

Is there a good step by step write up of the 60k maintenance? Or only the wiki and YouTube videos? I'll document mine as well because why not but I'd like some other tips to go with it.

1991 Dodge Stealth ES
- The car that started the 3S obsession
Mods: Open air filter, "resonator" bottle removed

1991 Fiji/Mystic Blue R/T TT 1 of 235(paint/R/T TT only, can't find more info, VIN is a 1 of none number)
Sold 6/19/11 to my923ksl
1992 silver VR-4 - 1 of 152 identical
Show: 99 Sails, 99 rear garnish, 2nd-gen steering wheel, Kaze exhaust cover, Pioneer Premier h/u, aftermarket speakers(Alpine type s's I think), 10 inch JL W1 sub in spnallb corner box.
Go: 15G Turbos, FMIC, ATR DP, ACT clutch, 3-inch singleshot(Currently off car due to bottoming out), no cats, HKS SSQV BOV, PWR rad, Ksport coilovers, 3sx rear adj. control arms, fECU w/ FPR solenoid as BCS, Cianci gauge pod w/ Defi D-series(Boost, EGT, oil pres), 93 shifter.

1987 Dodge Ramcharger - The back-up plan. Mods: Non-computerized timing, custom white gauge faces and red LED illumination, cat-back straight pipe, Chevy seats, Ford running boards, and Mopar everything else.
Wife's ride: 2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T --still waiting for permission to mod.
FluffyCow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
68Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: My 'screw selling or bailing, I'm gonna fix it' thread.

The biggest part is resetting the timing. I am absolutely clueless on that, so a nice VERY DETAILED write up with pictures would be nice.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 vr4, 03 fz1
sandstone92vr4 Negative 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

It makes total sense once your elbow deep in it. First timing belt I ever did on any car was on my vr4. Just make sure you have torque wrenches and use OEM parts where its important (hydraulic tensioner being the big one). My biggest learning lession was after you get the timing belt on, befor you spin the motor make sure you torque that adjuster pulley or its going to jump after it looses tension on your first spin lol. Rotating the crank sprocket one tooth back will also make sense once you do it. Do not loose the hydrualic tensioner adj key, you will need it if you mess it up and need to re adjust. You should also buy a tensioner pulley tool.

I used the bolt with a socket and washer technique for cam lockers. The front cams are the ones that really want to move, the rears stay put pretty well. My first time doing it took 10 hours and ive never done a timing belt, plus the water pump was a bear. If you can afford it, buy an entire water pump. The Gates kit one comes with the front half of the water pump so you need to take it apart, get the old gasket off and deal with all that. Alot of work is in gaskets that need scraped off that are hard to get to.

I used the stealth 316 write up I think, and it made enough sense to get the job done. The motor mount pissed me off pretty good since there were no good pictures of all the motor mount bolts. Some are in there really weird lol. Also bring bandaids, those cam gears will cut the shit out of you when your trying to get to other bolts and they pop loose and your knuckles graze the teeth of the cam gears.
sandstone92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
No more VR4!

Drives: '03 BMW Z4 3.0i
FlyingVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

It's actually quite easy to do. I didn't have any special tools, and also had no problems. Since it's been 30k miles, I suppose I did it right. Hardest part for me was getting the @#*(%&ing side motor mount off...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
popups FTW

Drives: 1992 VR4
eengler2 Level 2eengler2 Level 2eengler2 Level 2eengler2 Level 2eengler2 Level 2
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

I recommend this little guy from ninja. Makes setting tension so easy (FYI, works on 4g63's also)....

Ninja Performance Mitsubishi Timing Tool (NPTimingTool) - Ninja Performance - Affordable

eengler2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 97/99 VR4
blkdrgn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

the timeing gear (what I call cheese wedges) work great for holding the gears in place while all the adjustment is being done. I found the hardest part was trying to take off the lower timing cover. This was my fault as I figured it out later that the mount must come off first lol. Good luck with you and don't worry about a thing. There is enough gear heads on this forum to solve any issue you run into "with the car".

Also just found this thread...

timing belt dohc 101! pics! (all you need!)

Last edited by blkdrgn; 11-20-2014 at 02:15 PM.
blkdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 vr4, 03 fz1
sandstone92vr4 Negative 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yea I got the lower cover off with the mount still in there because I couldnt find 1 or 2 bolts to get the motor mount off.

Funny enough to jumped my own timing belt out of inexperience, Took me like 4 hours to get it reset. I felt like the king of idiots. But I got the motor mount and lower cover off in like an hour it felt like.
sandstone92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW

Popped front VC off... no loose rocker arms. Gonna work on pulling rear VC now. If I got zero loose rocker arms looks like I just have to 60k maintenance the car.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW

Front head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1419712908786.jpg (106.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW

Forgot to snap a picture but nothing loose in the rear head either. Next warm weekend day or when I get her in the garage the rest of the work will commence. Not gonna lie, real nervous about doing the 60k on my own. Might have to hit up some locals and set up a beer/pizza/fix the car day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country
(Required/Hidden)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Random Question