My JDM GTO 'resto' - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO MK3
fastbikes76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My JDM GTO 'resto'

We seeing as i love seeing what goes on this side of the pond i presume you would be interested in what happens our end

The car in question is a 1997 MK3 GTO which i bought last year end of January (damn ! its been a year already ). When discussing the car with the seller he informed me the car was a grade 4.5 import which is pretty much as good as you will get for a used car. He continually told me how mint the car was and there was nothing out there like it.

The car had been standing for almost 9 years due to import registration issues and as such wanted 4000. This was a ludicrous amount for a running car never mind a non runner due too standing for 9 years !!!! Naturally no one was remotely interested and soon enough he got bored, He stuck a post saying a trader had offered him 1200 and the first offer around that would secure the car.

A quick 100 miles later and i arrived at the sellers house....To say i was ready to commit murder was an understatement . The car had been abandoned on his drive on the lawn and had literally sunk into the mud so the floor pan was resting on the floor. His house was also a building site and the car was battered and bruised all round, as well as the bushes had over grown the car and rubbed all over the paint work in the wind. I was ready to walk away but my mate spoke me round saying it would break for that given some of the parts on it so i simply couldnt lose.

We were going to tow the car all the way home but i had taken a few spares with me that we thought could have failed from standing. The car was towed a 100 yards down the road where we jacked it up and swapped out the complete fuel pump carrier on the road side. The car barked too life and drove all the way home without fault after standing for 9 Years, the brakes were not even remotely binding or anything !!!

Here is my story of 2 months solid hard work. I did all of this on my driveway in winter with nothing but a basic tool kit and some help from a couple of mates. We did one big day stripping down and another big day rebuilding it, the rest was all just an hour or two after work each day desperately trying to get it ready for my wedding....I made it with about a week to spare !

To set the mood...here is the two photo's posted in the for sale advert (what he didnt mention is these were taken 9 years ago when it arrived in the UK !!!!!!!)

1st FEB 2012

I bought a 1997 MK3 NA manual which was imported to the UK in 2003 having covered a genuine 63 000Km . VOSA would not register the car until it was 10 years old so it was put into storage until 18 months ago. The sellers house was undergoing severe renovation so the poor car was moved to the muddy driveway during the building works. It suffered several bumps and bruises all round, however it was mechanically sound as a pound !!

I have also found out the car in reality has had a grand total of 4 years 5 months use MAX :shock: . It was built Sept 1997 but first registered 19th April 1999 to Mr Sinji Takaoka of Hiroshima, it then landed in the UK 24/07/2003. Also who knows how long it took to be auctioned, shipped, and land this side before it was auctioned again etc.

The car as i bought her...Which is a 100X more manky than the pics show

I got 99 problems... and owning 3 GTO's is one !

Last edited by fastbikes76; 01-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.
fastbikes76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: My JDM GTO 'resto'

The paintwork is flat and dull, there is a few scuffs and the side skirt is smashed. However there is not a single parking ding or not even a stone chip on the side skirts ro front bumper. This was definitely some poor Japs utter pride and joy. The photos make the body work look BETTER than it is ops: , however a trip to the painters is in order
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Yes..this really IS the condition the seller handed the car over in :roll: :shock:

Not a single mark on the steering wheel...like its never been used

Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Rear suspension arms..photos look worse for some reason

These are engine shots after a blast off with water..just to get all the old crap off. As you can see all the factory paint marks are still on all the bolts and hoses, even the clamps are still rust free . The bonnet catch and throttle body parts are as they came from the factory 8-)

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

It was so cold trying to jet wash the car off..the water was freezing quicker than i could rinse the car off :shock: :shock:

So that is my starting point for what will hopefully be one damn clean stock car ! It even still has the stock Twin Kenwood units in it. Stock air box will be getting fitted as well as my robo headlamps and tinted rear lamps.

8-) 8-) 8-)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

16th Feb 2012

ok so enough jibber jabber and time for some more progress....

Today I spent 2 hours on the underside of the car as i didn't want any over spray on the new paintwork once done in the next couple of weeks.

First up is the usual 'before' pics..

So i wire brushed any 'rust' off..actually most of it was brown stains opposed to bubbles of rust, then i attacked it with Tetra Shutz underseal. I made sure i removed the brake and fuel line cover so the pipes could get a damn good covering while they were still so clean.

Once i had smothered the entire chassis in underseal I then painted the diff, prop, subframes and drive shafts in satin black just to tidy things up underneath. There is not a single drop of oil on the engine , gearbox or transfer box and even the front brake backing plates are so clean you can still read the part number off them :shock:

Ignore the crappy bodged exhaust..that was temp untill the replacement arrived

I have ordered new genuine ...

Window Weather strips
Windscreen rubber (removing screen for paint work
Quadrant door covers
outer 'A' pillar rubbers.

I will be working on the car all day tomorrow with the help of Pete and Staff's we hopefully will get most of the parts swapped over between cars
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

hwoarang2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Remarkable what you did with this.
3000gt UK. 1602kg.19T FMIC with custom piping, Stage 4 unsprung, hotwired walbro, 10mm leads, 19" kahn dish wheels, custom aws lines, little bit of weight reduction, AFPR, Battery in boot, Hotwired AC fan, Full zorst with no cats, 20psi of 19T TURBO boost running 99 oct and Meth. UK 11G turbo times 12.6 1/4mile and 4.6s 0-60. Sprayed FORD ICE WHITE. 500.3HP/480lbs TQ
hwoarang2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

oohnoo Level 2oohnoo Level 2oohnoo Level 2oohnoo Level 2
Feedback Score: 270 reviews

Great job, best of luck with it.

----------------[2007 Ride of the Year.................................. 3.5 Stroker I did. w/DBB DR1000's
oohnoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
I build envy.

Drives: 93 Dodge Stealth ES
1320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 47 reviews

sweet progress! Can't wait to see it 100%

1993 Dodge Stealth ES - 15.048 @ 97.15mph September 2008 ROTM - 196hp/184tq
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 -13.3@104.9mph @ 14PSI - June 2009 ROTM
sponsored by BC Racing http://www.bcracing-na.com/
1320VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.