My Build (3.7L + GT42R) - Page 41 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #401 (permalink)
Forum Member

Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default Re: My Build (3.7L + GT42R)

So I ordered some new bearings (overnight). I was able to use two of the mains I have on hand so it wasn't a total wash. New target clearance specs:

#1 & #4 Mains = 0.0012" - 0.0020"
#2 & #3 Mains = 0.0016" - 0.0024"

Rods = 0.0013" - 0.0020"

I know alot of you would go looser but I think that'll be A-OK. From what I read most sources would reccomend 0.0019-0.0025" on the mains and 0.0016-0.0022" on the rods (based on 0.0007" -0.0010" per 1" of journal). This will be a little tighter...we'll have to see how the oil pressure does. If it's high I'll drop down from 0w40 to 0w30. Keep in mind there's no stock oil squirters in stock 74/75 blocks to leech off the mains and I have some really good oil cooling.

I couldn't go looser on the rods with Mitsu bearings anyway...I'm using the thinnest ones available (pinks) on the largest crank journals.
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #402 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

you will be fine like that bro. if anything, you can polish the crank a little
PM US FOR DEALS ON PRECISION TURBO!
WE SPECIALIZE IN FAST STREET CARS!
NO JOB TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL
FIND US ON FB!
http://store.pampenamotorsports.com/

ray pampena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #403 (permalink)
Forum Member

Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4

If any of you need a crank tool for the 6G75 pulley you can get one from oohnoo:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f4/crank-pully-tool-450060/

The one he made me based on my measurements just showed up and it fits perfectly and is ALOT cheaper than the Mitsu tool.

My Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors ship tomorrow:
Injector Dynamics
T1 Race Development - Your source for all your racing needs!

I asked my friend up there to send me a set that comes out on the small side of 1000cc. I don't need quite that much flow for my setup and I'd like to at least get the IDC's into the low-mid 80's when its pegged out on Q16. I have 2000+cc's of meth too so I don't need injectors that are crazy big.

The machine shop is working on balancing the rotating assembly.

The bearings are still on order but the pair of Pink 6G74/6G75 main bearings I ordered show as "unavailable" on Cherry Hill's order status page. I sent them an email asking for an update. There's only one part number for those bearings in my version of CAPS (MD197907). That same bearing goes in all the 6G74 & 6G75 motors...I can't see how it would be unavailable.

I bugged Matt M about the billet end cap. His machinist told Matt he would be getting to it around now 5-weeks ago.

The AEM is in the car. I made a mount plate for it so its in the stock location...pretty easy stuff.

I've been trying to figure out what turbine housing to go with. Although theres alot of conflicting info on the net the majority says that the 1.01 is not much of a restriction (if any). I read about a Supra that put down 93X RWHP on a 1.01 then switched to a 1.15 and lost 300 rpm of spool and gained no power. There's been a few evos on the high side of 860 AWHP with 1.01 GT42's (A few over 900 even). I have a 1.12 PTE housing here on hand but I'm going to stick with the 1.01. My goal is torque torque torque...not just peak but holding it out as long as possible. I think the 1.01 is the way to go. Hell...if I end up shifting at 7700 or something low because that's where the power is then that'll just make for an easier time for the synchros and motor. (shrug)
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #404 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Red 94 VR4
sova is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I've been trying to figure out what turbine housing to go with. Although theres alot of conflicting info on the net the majority says that the 1.01 is not much of a restriction (if any). I read about a Supra that put down 93X RWHP on a 1.01 then switched to a 1.15 and lost 300 rpm of spool and gained no power. There's been a few evos on the high side of 860 AWHP with 1.01 GT42's (A few over 900 even). I have a 1.12 PTE housing here on hand but I'm going to stick with the 1.01. My goal is torque torque torque...not just peak but holding it out as long as possible. I think the 1.01 is the way to go. Hell...if I end up shifting at 7700 or something low because that's where the power is then that'll just make for an easier time for the synchros and motor. (shrug)
Have you thought about having a larger housing with shiver's spool mod???
Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #405 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sova View Post
Have you thought about having a larger housing with shiver's spool mod???
I did...but more a larger turbine housing usually doesn't net you much power at all with a GT42. It seems the turbine wheel is almost a mismatch with the compressor wheel. The 1.01 turbine housing is capable of hanging with the compressor wheel...only leaving a little bit of power on the table due to restriction. Most of the people that go larger on the turbine housing after running a 1.01 regret the decision.

I guess that explains why the GT42 isn't as responsive with the 1.01 (the smallest garrett housing available) as some of the other large(r) compressor turbos from other manufacturers that have a smaller turbine side. They're actually a better match up. They may be leaving some significant power on the table when you start really pushing things though.

And besides that...I really don't want or need any more complication.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #406 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Red 94 VR4
sova is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

I did not know that about the GT42. I guess that explains why precision offers larger compressors for it.

I do understand why you wouldn't want to add complication. Extra complication can become annoying and cumbersome especially when troubleshooting.
sova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #407 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 VR4
SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 114 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I did...but more a larger turbine housing usually doesn't net you much power at all with a GT42. It seems the turbine wheel is almost a mismatch with the compressor wheel. The 1.01 turbine housing is capable of hanging with the compressor wheel...only leaving a little bit of power on the table due to restriction. Most of the people that go larger on the turbine housing after running a 1.01 regret the decision.

I guess that explains why the GT42 isn't as responsive with the 1.01 (the smallest garrett housing available) as some of the other large(r) compressor turbos from other manufacturers that have a smaller turbine side. They're actually a better match up. They may be leaving some significant power on the table when you start really pushing things though.

And besides that...I really don't want or need any more complication.
I tried getting the 1.01 and they sent a 1.15. At the time the 1.01 was on a 3 month or so backorder and from what I heard then was VERY hard to get. I'm sure if you order through a big distirbutor you can get one easily but I found a great deal on one and it wasn't through a place that had a bunch of stuff in stock.

As for the spool mod, it's really no complication at all...and wait until you see the machining on it...I'll take some pics when the finish machining is done (hopefully today). Only one actuator and all it takes is a boost source.
SHiVeR-91VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #408 (permalink)
Aww just a base..

Drives: 95 awd tt, 99 Base
DigiiManDan3KGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiVeR-91VR4 View Post
I tried getting the 1.01 and they sent a 1.15. At the time the 1.01 was on a 3 month or so backorder and from what I heard then was VERY hard to get. I'm sure if you order through a big distirbutor you can get one easily but I found a great deal on one and it wasn't through a place that had a bunch of stuff in stock.

As for the spool mod, it's really no complication at all...and wait until you see the machining on it...I'll take some pics when the finish machining is done (hopefully today). Only one actuator and all it takes is a boost source.
you have a thread yet on it with details?

Green 1995 3000GT // 15t Turbos // ATX to MTX // NA to TT // FWD to AWD // Purchased 11/12/02
White 1999 3000GT Black Dash/Tan Leather Interior // SOHC // MTX // Stock Daily Driver Purchased 7/25/07
DigiiManDan3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #409 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 vr-4
ajimmyjammin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiVeR-91VR4 View Post

i would think the difference in the tune would be what complicates the device, not the mechanics itself.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #410 (permalink)
Forum Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.