My 1992 3000GT VR-4 Rebuild. - Page 21 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #201 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 Stealth ES
westcott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: My 1992 3000GT VR-4 Rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmba View Post
So basically there was bolts holding it in place, but it was able to move around. I tightened the bolts, put everything back together and took it for a bit of a joyride. I had no problems at all.
So I would have to assume that to ground the ECU, it must be bolted to the body\frame? Not uncommon. Just thought there would be a separate grounding strap. I have never had a problem with my ECU as so many others have and it is the original one that came with the car.

Anyway, glad you seem to have your car problems all sorted. Now you can stand back and take pride in all the hard work you have done and enjoy driving your car again.

And just in time for school to start again. Good Luck and stay focused. It will be well worth it in the end. Just think DR1200's when you graduate!!!

Original Owner, ROTM-March 2013, ROTY 2013, Highest WHP N/A 2013, TXG13 3S Sponsor
My mod list can be found in My Garage
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #202 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO MK3
fastbikes76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

More likely one of the main ECU loom plugs is loose/faulty. The ECU does not HAVE to be grounded to work (although it does help i would guess). I have run many with donor ECU's laying loose in the foot well with no warning lights or drivability issues. Being loosely mounted probably allowed enough movement on a jolt to make/break contact.

Glad its sorted either way..and you have just reminded me my ECU is not bolted in either as since the rebuild a year ago as i got the car with it loose and forgot after refitting the carpets

I got 99 problems... and owning 3 GTO's is one !
10:1 AWD TT, 12.47 @ 114.95mph full weight 3800lbs
fastbikes76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #203 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR-4
Djmba is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
More likely one of the main ECU loom plugs is loose/faulty. The ECU does not HAVE to be grounded to work (although it does help i would guess). I have run many with donor ECU's laying loose in the foot well with no warning lights or drivability issues. Being loosely mounted probably allowed enough movement on a jolt to make/break contact.Glad its sorted either way..and you have just reminded me my ECU is not bolted in either as since the rebuild a year ago as i got the car with it loose and forgot after refitting the carpets
That is pretty much what I was thinking. It is possible that one of the plugs was loose since I swapped ECUs. I also have driven long periods of time with an ECU on the floorboard.

3.01L, 13T turbos and supporting mods.

Djmba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #204 (permalink)
Verified Seller

I edited the list of things I wanted to get done during the winter break.

* First things first, I need to verify my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. My oil pressure has dropped slightly and the difference happened shortly after I installed my electronic gauge. I am hoping that the drop is just the difference in the gauges. Done.
* Find out why I am getting part throttle knock. I think I might have a lead on the source. Read more about it here: Interesting knock. Input wanted. Logs available. I still need to order my front turbo exhaust housing.
* Find out why my turn signals work but my hazards don't. Done.
* Install polished 3sx pre-turbo pipes. I have ordered them from a member on here and should be here by the time I am through with finals. Done.
* Install freshly powder coated plenum. Done.
* Install polished 3sx aluminum Y-pipe. Done. Still needs to be repolished, but doesn't look to bad.
* Polish/rebuild my throttle body. I am debating sending it to April because she does such a fantastic job. I ordered one from April. Should be here Friday!
* Polish lower intake.
* Polish water housing.
* Get spark plug cover powder coated. It is powder coated now, but it got scratched and looks ugly. Done.
* Get front valve cover powder coated. It is old, dirty, peeling, and ugly. Debating on getting the rear one done as well. Done.
* Install 3sx fuel loop. I have a custom fuel loop on there now made from stainless steel line but it makes taking off the rear timing belt cover a huge pain.
* Install new Ninja Performance MBC. I have ordered this and it should be here shortly. Mine spikes like crazy and I hate it. Done.
* Install front and rear solid mounts. Still debating on this or not. I already have a lot of road noise and I think this would make it louder. Decided not to.
* Reseal transmission and clean it up a little. It has a couple of leaks. There are a few things I want to do while I'm doing this: Done. Didn't reseal though.
* Install upgraded clutch and pressure plate. I believe I am riding on the edge of its capabilities. Plus, I plan to run 13gs in the future and will need the upgrade. Done.
* Install new rear main seal. The current seal is new, but I'm in there so I'll do it anyway. Didn't need to. Resealed pan instead.
* Replace driver side axle. One of the boots is ripped and throwing grease everywhere. Axle has to come out with the trans so this the perfect opportunity. The spare I had was the wrong one.
* Swap the rear 9b for a spare 13g I have. My 9b has quite a bit of shaft play so I'll replace it before it blows. That's one step closer to twin 13gs.
* New oil feed and return lines. Mine leak in some places. Thinking about going with stainless steel lines. I have everything to make stainless steel return lines. I'll have to buy the ones for the front. Mostly done.
* Install new rear timing belt cover. My fuel loop made some nasty marks in it.
* Install red vacuum hose. Everything was red at one time. Lol. But I've had to cut them multiple times and eventually they became too short. I had to use some spare yellow hose. Done.
* Clean up engine bay. The firewall and other regions are dirty and it bugs me. Lol. Done.
* Get a dash mat. When replacing my center gauges, I discovered that my dash has been heat baked so much that you can push your thumb in places and it cracks I may just get a new dash, depending on the price.
* Make a bracket for the sides of the A/C controller. I broke the stock brackets when taking out the dash. Another excuse to get a new dash. Lol.
* Replace shifter console with a spare I have. I broke the tabs that hold the garnishes that go over the screws where the shifter console connects to the dash a while back.

I'd say not too bad. Unfortunately, since school starts tomorrow, my progress on this will drastically slow down. I am taking pretty hard classes this semester and really can't afford to spend a whole lot of time on the car. Hopefully, since I have treated her well during the break, she will understand my need to stay focused on school and won't give me any problems.

Before:

After:

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help and support.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #205 (permalink)
Verified Seller

I need some advice. I currently owe $420 for the work on the new block. The machinist has been a friend of my dad's for a while and helped him build his stroker mustang years ago. He was willing to cut me a deal to rebuild the spare set of heads I have. They are 1st gen turbo heads with NA cams. I'm 99% sure they have bent valves, but I need to take them apart to verify. He will do a valve job and rebuild the heads for $350. He can get me 1mm oversized valves for around $275. He said normally he would charge a lot more for a valve job for someone going oversized but he would do the heads for $400, so about $675 for the 1mm oversized valve heads. I would probably do a little porting (more like touching up) on the heads because they would already be apart. So the $420 I owe + $675 = $1095. What should I do? I have about $1450, but I REALLY don't want to spend all of it because part of that is a loan I took out and put it in savings to pay itself off and build credit (about $50 a month), and the other is extra grant money from college. Keep in mind I need money for emergencies and unexpected stuff and if I get in a bind.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #206 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 Stealth ES
westcott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmba View Post
I need some advice. I currently owe $420 for the work on the new block. The machinist has been a friend of my dad's for a while and helped him build his stroker mustang years ago. He was willing to cut me a deal to rebuild the spare set of heads I have. They are 1st gen turbo heads with NA cams. I'm 99% sure they have bent valves, but I need to take them apart to verify. He will do a valve job and rebuild the heads for $350. He can get me 1mm oversized valves for around $275. He said normally he would charge a lot more for a valve job for someone going oversized but he would do the heads for $400, so about $675 for the 1mm oversized valve heads. I would probably do a little porting (more like touching up) on the heads because they would already be apart. So the $420 I owe + $675 = $1095. What should I do? I have about $1450, but I REALLY don't want to spend all of it because part of that is a loan I took out and put it in savings to pay itself off and build credit (about $50 a month), and the other is extra grant money from college. Keep in mind I need money for emergencies and unexpected stuff and if I get in a bind.
I would just pay him what you owe and hold off on building the spare motor. You only have one car and if something goes wrong, you may need that money to get it back as a DD. You have a tough semester ahead of you. The last thing you need is to be put in a bind. We are all just one gear tooth away from disaster.

All good things come to those who wait!!!
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #207 (permalink)
Verified Seller

I agree that is probably best. I just want to go vroooooooooooooommm
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #208 (permalink)
Amature-Crastinator

Drives: 95 SOHC, 92 TT
Grandpa Poser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Agreed on waiting, Westcott's a wise old bird so take his advice, wait.
Looking good
Matt Black on the wire covers?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #209 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Yes. The valve cover is gloss black and the spark plug cover is flat black. I think it looks pretty cool. I do think that I should rebuild the stock heads in stock form for about $350. That will cover me if I blow a head gasket, the block will cover me if I spin a bearing, and I have 4 spare turbos I can use if one of them decides to blow. That pretty much covers anything major that will go wrong with my car.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #210 (permalink)
Verified Seller

It has been raining here for about 5 days straight. Today it finally cleared up and my car was a mess so I came home after school and gave her a wash.

SEX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.