Jason's single turbo build... - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Breaks everything

Drives: 1999 VR4
JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Default Jason's single turbo build...

Well after kicking around all kinds of ideas despite knowing exactly what i should do i decided to do what ive always wanted to do since im not chasing records or huge numbers.

Im using IPS's manifolds and downpipe with the 4" titanium carbon/ti exhaust, the rest i will be making myself.

I am going to use an air/water intercooler from frozen boost along with a 26x7x3.5 heat exchanger with 3 1100cfm fans that are going to run full time in pusher mode to try to keep the turbulence down between the exhanger and radiator which im hoping the stock one will do to keep as much clearance as possible between the turbo and downpipe. Also will run the twin SPAL pushers that IPS includes with the kit whenever i get to that point, i will probably have them on a manual relay and just have them on full time as well, but individially controlled, one will go live when the car is keyed on and the second on the manual relay until i see whats needed, im trying to keep it really simple right now.

But with the a/w IC i figure im going to have at most about 12" of IC piping on the car

I was pretty set on the comp turbo 6765 oil less turbo but the deeper i dig the more questionable stuff i read about their turbos. 2k is a lot to drop on a turbo only to find out it spools like a 4294 and makes the power of a 4088. So, im still trying to decide. I've already committed to a 4" downpipe which limits my turbo options somewhat. Im pretty sure the off the shelf PTE 6765 has a 3 or 3.5" turbine housing, so i can either mod the downpipe or get a custom turbo which will cost more...

So, im fairly tempted to just get an off the shelf 4294 which is very cheap and really not that big when talking single turbo. Just dont think the boost recovery on a journal 94mm turbo is gonna be very good. But if its lit at 4500 im okay with that for now since a 3.5 is going in the car this time next year and for now im gonna set my rev limit to 8300 rpms to help 1st/2nd out.

Anyway, i started the tear down yesterday afternoon but got sidetracked and didnt get much done, but today ive been able to just poke along and take my time, fairly enjoyable how easily things come apart when they are put together properly

Anyway, heres the pics so far:
Before i got started...

Getting most of the clutter out of the way..

Ready to start in on the turbos..

One of my favorite 3sx goodies

Oh and this pic is kinda amusing...typical 3/S owners..lol two cars with the hood up in the same garage....lol

Will post up in a little bit with more progress pics of the tear down....

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD - 2014 CCSB Ram 2500 Cummins/68FRE
Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's.
JasonY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
From KDM to JDM

Drives: Red 93 VR4
Keyan Level 1Keyan Level 1
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Default Re: Jason's single turbo build...

like button.
421awhp/419awtq @ 17psi tuned by Pampena Motorsports ....375awtq at 2900rpm....
12.2sec @ 116mph, 18psi on a mix of race and pump.....and only a 1.9 60 foot

Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: n/a 3kgt
ja3gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

^ who knew this could be the new facebook lol
subscribed

92 vr4
under going some serious spark plugs..
ja3gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired

Drives: The Bringer of Hell™
HellBringer Level 1HellBringer Level 1HellBringer Level 1
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
I've already committed to a 4" downpipe which limits my turbo options somewhat. Im pretty sure the off the shelf PTE 6765 has a 3 or 3.5" turbine housing, so i can either mod the downpipe or get a custom turbo which will cost more...

You can can get a 4" housing from Comp for any of their CT43 series; the CT4 series is only available in 3 or 3.5". Most guys with 4" downpipes aren't running a 4" housing anyway, they just use a reducer to 3 or 3.5" for the flange - very common.

The 4294 is a 70.3mm (94mm is the exducer) and is lazy for what it is, but makes good power up top due to the 82/75mm turbine. It likes to be revved with a lot of boost - not what I'd put in a stock 6G and I certainly wouldn't call it inexpensive, either... I think a billet/CEA 67mm is more along the lines if what you're going to want if your goals are in the 700WHP range.

1993.5 Supra TT Wingless Hardtop 6sp -- 74mm, S1 cams -- 10.4 @ 138MPH [Previously 468WHP & 11.3 @ 125MPH stock twins]
1994 RX-7 -- Streetport, 71GTS Haltech, etc.. #'s TBD
1999 3000GT VR-4 -- 12.5 @ 108MPH 100% stock w/ Chromed ECU tune
2003 350Z Touring 6sp -- Daily Beater -- 13.9 @ 102MPH stock
2003 Denali XL -- Grocery Getter & Tow Rig -- Runs 13's! (mpg)
Formerly:
1994 Supra 6sp - 72mm, VPC, stock longblock -- 722WHP & 10.36 @ 139.5MPH
1993 Stealth RT/TT; 2003 Corvette Z06; 1997 3000GT VR-4; 2002 Corvette Z06;
1999 3000GT; 1992 Stealth RT/TT; 1993.5 Supra TT; 1993 3000GT; 1992 3000GT VR-4;
1998 Trans AM WS6; 1992 Talon TSi; 1993 3000GT VR-4; and many others..
HellBringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
The MoonShine Man

Drives: 1xxx Whp
jrod Level 2jrod Level 2jrod Level 2jrod Level 2
Feedback Score: 46 reviews

I agree, A 67mm is what you want. You dont want that thing to be real lazy, then all hell breaks loose. Been there done that, hated it.
1992 Stealth: 40k Org Miles
2007 FJ: 6" RC Lift: 35's on XD Addicts
1995 Rx7 BWsx400,RacePort,Microtech
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Breaks everything

JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3

Yeah, Abram, whats your thoughts on Comp turbos? The 6765 with the .84 a/r is pretty much perfect for the car. You spend the most time on the Supra forums so i'd trust your opinion on CT's product. I know i can get that turbo with a 4" exhaust housing i spoke with them on the phone about that turbo and yeah, a 67mm turbo is peeerfect for what im after.

Jason
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Breaks everything

Just a/c and intercoolers left to remove...

Jason
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Breaks everything

Now if i get this contract on a big job coming up im gonna be in rrreally good shape to get the end case on my trans while im still getting parts in the door. BH brace and end case and i should be goooood to go!

The manifolds went to the coaters thurseday i believe, they need to be stripped of the shiny junk and then coated black, so im probably 3 weeks out on getting them in the door. Just in time for Todd to get home and pull his blown engine, build the new one and drop it back in...

Jason
Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

Did Todd's tune drift and blow up his engine? I guess the rods couldn't handle the torque.

Why not go with the PTE 6765 turbo? You could always go with a quick spool valve. If you didn't want to modify the downpipe or anything else because of the quick spool valve just send your T4 twin scroll housing to Shiver if he's still doing that mod.
95 RT/TT Billet TD04s on E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416, 3" FMIC, single Krank vent, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCD BC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock upper and lower end motor 127k miles.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
twins with twins

Drives: '95&'96 VR4
aeveret2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Having gone through this headache on my own car, I would suggest going with the smallest turbo that will keep you happy power-wise. If you want to keep the car fun on the street the big turbos just lag too much. I did the 4294 first and it sucked. I'm now running a pt6265 and the car is humpin' at 4k, but I still wish it spooled quicker. I wanted the single setup to be more unique, but it has been a huge trial.

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.