HID's installed... Cant tell if I like em lol - Page 3 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Car PC Tech

Drives: 94 VR-4/98 M3/01 C2
njrbd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Default Re: HID's installed... Cant tell if I like em lol

Nothing but a bunch of haterszz... ahh the light is blinding me waaa waaa...I am all grown up and you should too... lol...J beard1 those lights look sick....keep up the god work!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT SL-TT
J-blueSL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

hA smurf blue HID's...it's funny when you see the people who run them on their vehicles drive slower than normal when its pouring out,, there the ones "gonnA haTe" when they see that your HID actually lights up the road. stick with 4300k-6000k bulb range.
J-blueSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member

tmaxx411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
Well technically HIDs are illegal for any car that did not come equipped with them from the factory.
they actually got that ruling overturned, any "proper" retrofit is legal, meaning you need projectors, you cant put an hid bulb in a reflector housing.

"For everybody that has, had, or wants HID, this is for your reference:

SEMA Prevails on Motor Vehicle Lighting Rule; NHTSA Alters Interpretation on Enhanced Replacement Headlamp Systems

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 1, 2005--Following a challenge by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has withdrawn a controversial interpretation of the federal lighting standard. SEMA disputed NHTSA's constitutional and statutory authority to prohibit vehicle headlamp replacement systems that are different than the headlamps and components which came with the original vehicle. The agency's latest action reverses this ruling.

In a Nov. 1, 2005, notice published in the Federal Register, NHTSA agreed with SEMA that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 is a performance standard that allows for different types of replacement headlamp systems, lamps and sources so long as the system meets the photometry and functionality requirements of the standard. It had been NHTSA's contention that replacement headlamps must comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the same light source as the original equipment. This interpretation would have prohibited, for example, replacing a halogen-based system with high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps that otherwise meet all requirements of FMVSS 108.

"NHTSA's reversal is wholly consistent with the statutory requirement that replacement lighting equipment meet an objective performance standard. We applaud the agency for issuing this revised ruling," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "A policy limiting the consumer's choice of design runs contrary to long-standing precedent, is beyond authority as delegated by Congress and could have threatened other equipment beyond lighting in the future. We are pleased that by acting on our members' behalf, we were able to overturn this policy."

NHTSA first issued its controversial interpretation in 2003 as a draft opinion letter subject to public comment. None of the 25 organizations and businesses that commented agreed with NHTSA's proposal that replacement equipment conform to the standard in the same manner as the original equipment. Instead, commenters argued that aftermarket manufacturers should be allowed to certify replacement lighting equipment under FMVSS No. 108 in such manner as complies with the performance standard it sets forth. Despite these recommendations, NHTSA stuck with its position and published a final opinion letter in October 2004. SEMA immediately petitioned the agency to reconsider its action.

"SEMA continues to stand for the right to responsibly accessorize, modify, and improve vehicles with enhanced aftermarket lighting," said SEMA Chairman Mitch Williams. "Enhanced headlamp lighting systems improve safety aspects of the vehicle and can be fully compliant with all relevant federal standards. SEMA vigorously opposed this interpretation of a long-standing regulation. It threatened to inhibit many legitimate companies who are in the business of improving vehicle lighting to the benefit of the motoring public. SEMA welcomes NHTSA's reversal and will continue to work with the agency to ensure fair and accurate implementation of this new interpretation."

Founded in 1963, SEMA represents the $32 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,466 member companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for automakers and the specialty auto products industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles."
tmaxx411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4, SRT8
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 87 reviews

Are 'Blue' Xenon HID Headlights Legal? - Traffic Laws - Law and Daily Life

Quote:
Those bright bluish-looking headlights in your rearview mirror may be from a high-end luxury car that came equipped with such lights. But they may also be a sign of an aftermarket modification that's technically illegal, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says.

Federal customs agents have seized millions of dollars' worth of shipments of high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits since 2009 because the kits fail to meet federal standards, according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association, a trade group that represents motor-vehicle aftermarket companies.

What federal standards are at issue? The answer gets a bit complicated, but a series of NHTSA letters to consumers has shed some light on the topic.

First, many consumers seem to be confused by the symbol "DOT" on replacement lights, including xenon or HID conversion kits.

"DOT" doesn't mean the Department of Transportation has approved the lights; rather, it's the manufacturer's own certification of compliance with federal standards, according to NHTSA. So just because a xenon or HID conversion kit is marked "DOT" doesn't mean the federal government has certified it as street-legal.

Consumers should instead look to a federal regulation, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, which specifically discusses headlight systems. Under the standard, all replacement headlamps must be able to utilize a vehicle's existing light source, NHTSA advises.

So why not just change the light source from a regular halogen system to one that works with xenon or HID lights?

Because doing so likely violates a federal law, 49 U.S.C. 30122, which prohibits a mechanic from rendering inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, NHTSA says.

In short, "NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with ... FMVSS No. 108," according to SEMA, the aftermarket trade group. Of special concern is that "HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists."

Many state laws defer to these federal standards. That gives law enforcement the power to stop and issue citations for vehicles they believe contain illegal aftermarket xenon or HID lamps.

To save on the cost of xenon or HID conversion, some drivers opt to buy blue-tinted bulbs to simulate the effect of true HID lights. But some states explicitly state that headlights must emit a white light. Check with an experienced traffic attorney to make sure your car's lights are legal.
dbest671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
TL VRX & TR

Drives: Mitusbishi Magna
TUFFTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Osram nightbreaker 60/55w's Enough said.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
King Of The Castle

Drives: 92 R/T TT
Assy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 45 reviews

8k on a 55w setup (this is low beam)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0811.jpg (112.9 KB, 40 views)

650cc inj, Gutted cats, IPS DP, IPS catback, 19T turbos,Black stealth EBC/ Logger, AEM wide-band, SS lines,supra pump, LW crank pulley, LW flywheel,Evo8 BOV, Pre turbo intake pipes, F+R solid mounts Sides poly, AEM FPR, SS brake lines, Stage 4 clutch, ABS/AWS/Cruise/ECS delete, Vac Red, PST DS, MAFT Blow thru, Megan Springs, Dual Pass Rad
Assy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
GCtech Motorsports

Drives: vr4
GCtech Industries is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I have 5000k in my vr4 and is excellent and i used 8000k in my Journey with excellent view at night
GCtech Industries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 SOHC Stealth
jmandodge87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The most "legal" light output can be attained from Philips HIR2 / 9012 bulbs at $33 each. I say "legal", because with slight mods to the bulb they will fit and perform exactly like a 9006 low beam bulb, but with more light output.

The additional light output is attained through an infared reflecting technology incorporated on the inside of the globe that reflects IR heat back to the element. This in turn causes it to glow brighter without increasing the power consumption (which shortens the bulb's life and can damage stock harnesses not designed for 100W bulbs [Ever seen a melted socket? Too much heat from too much power]).

I'm not quite sure what the material is that is vapor deposited onto the projector bowls, but I can guarantee a halogen projector was never designed to handle the kind of light source that is HID. The reflective coating could burn, the inside of the headlight could craze from excessive UV exposure from the HID bulbs, who knows. Not to mention the glare you are causing people. I know people will say waa waa waa... How about you come at me with your pnp, I'll flip on my fx35 bi-xenons coupled with my silverstar ultra stock highbeams. Then you won't be able to see, and go waa waa waaa when you run off the road
jmandodge87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

5000K on my Spyder

Cutoff line

JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
NC Insurance Agent

Drives: 1995 3000GT
jbeard1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Way I look at it, if I can buy it in the United States, it's legal. I am not putting anyone else in danger, I can still see just fine. I would love for an officer to pull me over (that doesn't already know me)... I mean what is he going to tell me? Hes going to write me a ticket for my bulbs being too pink? Please.... The only thing that I know is illegal, is ANYTHING blue in the state of NC. You can have anything blue in your car, if the cop sees it he is pulling you over. This consists of any blue lights inside car, a blue flashing alarm light, blue neon underbody kit, etc etc. I had a set of mirror fiberglass speakers that lit up blue, within a week of having them, I had been pulled over and had to rip them out with the cops right there. Blue is a big no-no in NC, and I actually believe I am going to get pulled over a lot quicker having blue, then my warm non blinding pink.

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.