Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Electrical question, No interior lights, Radio reset, A/C resets...

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JD_94RTTT 
#1 ·
Just purchased a '91 Stealth RT, automatic.

Car runs well, but have an odd electrical problem. The interior lights won't come on. When you key on, the radio defaults to 1:00, and the A/C defaults to 77 degrees, and On. These are all acting as if the battery is disconnected and reconnected. Constant power is being lost.

I have checked fuse 19 on the interior fuse box. This is the fuse that controls the items listed above. When I key on, it has 12v. When I key off, it has 0v. Fuse 19 is the lower right corner, 10A.

So, for those of you with correct working cars.... does Fuse 19 have constant power with key off?

Ignore the red circles (I stole the pic off the web) look at the blue arrow pointing to Fuse 19

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm finding out a lot more information. But to double check my sanity, could somebody with a functioning system test the voltage of Fuse 19 with key off? I just want to make sure that it is indeed suppose to have power running to it.

Thanks.

#4 ·
My fuse box had no cover for it. Consequently the driver was able to kick the fuse block while driving. Fuse 19 was most exposed and easiest to kick. I found that by moving the fuse back and forth, I found that the connection was simply bad. I closed down the terminals in the fuse box and reinserted the fuse. This did the trick for me. I then purchased a fuse box cover from a member here on the forums. All is better now.

Good luck with your fix.

#5 ·
you have to check if after a while it blows the fuse again, this can be the etacs taking a dump on you if the fuse just keeps blowing, trust me I know about this, so does the pampena gang, my car would keep on blowing the fuse and destroying AC/etacs units, you are right, kicking the box can create shorts and whatnot, I basically run without it now, because putting fuse back in kills battery for some reason and since nobody wants to help me figure it out I just don't put fuse back in it anymore, to my knowledge I believe it does keep power on to that particular fuse as it holds memory and it turns on the door lights/interior lights when switch is open on the door

#7 ·
I've found that our almost 20 yo fuse boxes get lazy holding fuses. If you get an intermittent one (mine first came up with windshield wipers on a rainy day!) Pull the fuse and with a small screwdriver bend the fuse contacts in to grip the fuse better. DO them all if you have the time and patience. The fuse should fit snug enough that you cant easily pull it with your fingers. The tighter the better!

Another potential problem that the ETACS gets blamed for is aftermarket alarms. They go flakey and cause stupid electrical problems. It could be a cause depending on how a previous install was done.

-SP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.