cant put my finger on it - Page 8 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: people crazy
scottydog911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: cant put my finger on it

My stock 97vr4 is also having this issue except I have sat the car for as long as an hour or so before restarting. It looks like that's still within the window for a crappy idle. Subscribed for a definite solution(s)...
scottydog911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
Ancient Spirit Of Evil

Drives: Mumra tank
kelvinTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

cleaning IAC and changing fuel filter does nothing, if I shut it off and try to start within 15 minutes it will either not start making me wait a half hour or it will start and run like it's chocking on sausage for a minute or 2

I can show you what it's like to lose control...
kelvinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #73 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR-4
Djmba is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

I got a video of mine. It died twice before I filmed it. It runs like there is no MAF plugged in and dies a couple of times. Then I try to back out of my driveway and make it a few feet and it dies on me. Then I manage to keep it running long enough to back it completely out of the driveway and it runs fine. I have a narrowband below my boost gauge on the pillar and as you can see, my O2s aren't cycling. Not even after I make it out of the driveway and it decides to run right. They aren't even showing up on the gauge unless I give it gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tw1...e_gdata_player

3.01L, 13T turbos and supporting mods.

Djmba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: Mitsubishis
soccermania688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I have the same problem. With the following mods. Hotwired fuel/bypassed relay. Full vacuum reduction/ egr delete. No boost leaks. Stock injectors/ stock ecu.

If i start the car hot after about 20-45 mins I have the problem. It sounds like a misfire. If i hold the gas down a little for a min or two it clears out and runs fine. Sounds like a slightly fouled out spark plug or running on 4 cylinders.

Let me know if anyone finds a solution to this problem. Is anyone with a fully stock car experiencing these problems?

The insulate fuel rails seems to sound like a good idea to test out.

1992 3000GT VR4 - SOLD
soccermania688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

That video is EXACTLY what my car is doing minus the stall. It has only done that once so far. And my car is BONE STOCK aside from a drop in K&N. If I feather the throttle it will stay lit but sounds like a missfire for a minute and then levels out to normal.....

Mods: Latitude 42 HID projector conversion, Snake-Eyes headlight controller, Renegade Tech Works full 3 stage ECS, Full interior Dynamat (the right way), Fuel pump relay bypass, Poly front and rear motor mounts, Tein S Techs, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, gutted pre cats, K&N drop in filter.

Vehicles:
White 1992 Stealth RT/TT (Stock)
White 2011 Ford Crown Vic (Company Car)
Another German toy on extended leave with me by it's owner.
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #76 (permalink)
Verified Seller

It normally doesn't stall like that. I filmed it because it was stalling it did it twice before I pulled out the camera. It normally just sounds like its running on half of its cylinders.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #77 (permalink)
Amature-Crastinator

Drives: 95 SOHC, 92 TT
Grandpa Poser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Lunchbox, about your thoughts on cracking the fuel rail to purge any vapors. I know what you are talking about but i dont remember seeing anything like a bleeder/test port on mine.
the fuel rail is the highest pont so that's where any vapor would migrate to.

If you have a hotwired fuel pump and you allowed it to run a few minutes before restart would this move any vapor back to the tank? or would the FPR create a restriction in flow that impedes that possiblity.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #78 (permalink)
resident evil

wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

I am wondering if this is something that is caused by us pulling off all the heat shields or if its just the car thats not tuned well for the newer fuels. It seems odd that stock cars are suffering from this issue and no one can seem to figure it out. I have replaced almost everything and now I am getting a new MFI relay to see if its a low voltage issue on the ECU circuit caused by worn contacts in the main relay

Last edited by wraith; 12-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #79 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Poser View Post
Lunchbox, about your thoughts on cracking the fuel rail to purge any vapors. I know what you are talking about but i dont remember seeing anything like a bleeder/test port on mine.
the fuel rail is the highest pont so that's where any vapor would migrate to.

If you have a hotwired fuel pump and you allowed it to run a few minutes before restart would this move any vapor back to the tank? or would the FPR create a restriction in flow that impedes that possiblity.
I have a hot wired pump and I tried letting it run about 10 seconds or so before I started the car. It made no difference. I might not have done it long enough though.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #80 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

No, now that I looked at my fuel rails there isn't the release, and even letting hotwired pump run I don't think would clear the rails if I understand how the regulator works, It would just build pressure and not be able to pull anymore out of the tank till the motor was running and vacuum opened the reg and sent stuff back in the return, I could be wrong.
That is a valid point about the fuel now, because mine is totally stock low mile car and it has never been opened aside from the upper intake for wires and plugs, I checked too and my intake is sealed all the way, no leaks. I bet the fuel is vaporizing at a lower temp because of the 10% mix. I am no chemist but it is a possibility, the additives have a lower thermogenic stability than gasoline....I think
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.