cant put my finger on it - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oh SNAP!!!

Drives: 03 Z06,08 Z06,02Z/28
mywetdream is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Default cant put my finger on it

ok this has been bugging me lately...i cant seem to pin point...say if i drive like 10 to 15 miles...shut the car off and go to grab a bit to eat or what ever..come back out say like 20 to 30 mins later..i have a rough idel, but it fades after i start driving, and is not there till the next day or time i drive the car ...any ideal what it could be?
1991 Eclipse GS-SOlD
1995 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
1994 Eclipse GSX-SOLD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T TT- SOLD
1969 Corvette 427/435- SOLD
2003 Corvette Z06 S/C- pride and joy
2002 Camaro Z/28
2008 Corvette Z06- the new family member!!!
mywetdream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Drives: '92 ES, '92 TT
Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Re: cant put my finger on it

It sounds like you might have the beginning of the "warm start" problem that many have had. One theory is that it's a dirty injector not closing all the way and leaking fuel into the manifold when the motor is off. Start the car back up soon enough and not enough fuel has dribbled in to cause problems. Let it sit long enough, say overnight, and it evaporates out. Right around that 20-30 minute zone the car's flooded and runs pig rich for a couple minutes while it clears out.
The good news is that I have seen a can or two of injector cleaner clear this up for a few people, including myself. Both Techron and Guaranteed to Pass (CRC brand) seem to work well against this problem. I can't promise it'll work for you but it might be worth throwing can in and seeing if things improve.
Steve '93ES is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oh SNAP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve '93ES View Post
It sounds like you might have the beginning of the "warm start" problem that many have had. One theory is that it's a dirty injector not closing all the way and leaking fuel into the manifold when the motor is off. Start the car back up soon enough and not enough fuel has dribbled in to cause problems. Let it sit long enough, say overnight, and it evaporates out. Right around that 20-30 minute zone the car's flooded and runs pig rich for a couple minutes while it clears out.
The good news is that I have seen a can or two of injector cleaner clear this up for a few people, including myself. Both Techron and Guaranteed to Pass (CRC brand) seem to work well against this problem. I can't promise it'll work for you but it might be worth throwing can in and seeing if things improve.
i did try some Lucas Oil / 5.25 oz. fuel injector cleaner..and it seem to help it out ...i know i dont smoke at all like i used to due to vss
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Drives: '92 ES, '92 TT
Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Try one of the other two I mentioned. The Lucas doesn't seem to be as effective, at least for this problem. The Guaranteed to Pass seems to work the best.
Steve '93ES is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 1994 Stealth
Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywetdream View Post
ok this has been bugging me lately...i cant seem to pin point...say if i drive like 10 to 15 miles...shut the car off and go to grab a bit to eat or what ever..come back out say like 20 to 30 mins later..i have a rough idel, but it fades after i start driving, and is not there till the next day or time i drive the car ...any ideal what it could be?
Question, is your Digital Climate resetting everytime you restart the car?

If it is, then your ECU is resetting everytime you shut the car off causing your rough idle issues. If thats the case there is a blown fuse or an issue with the IOD circuit.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Oh SNAP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Question, is your Digital Climate resetting everytime you restart the car?

If it is, then your ECU is resetting everytime you shut the car off causing your rough idle issues. If thats the case there is a blown fuse or an issue with the IOD circuit.
no i can set it at what ever setting..and it holds ...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
I build envy.

Drives: 93 Dodge Stealth ES
1320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
when I start my car under the same conditions, have it be warm and let it sit for 30 min both cars have issues.

the vr4 doesn't wanna start, the motor runs just faster than the starter runs so it sounds like the starter is spinning at full rpm but the motor isn't quite started yet (if that makes sense) usualy takes a blurp of gas to get it to go brum

the stealth almost wont idle at all. Especialy now with the cams. The idle is rough and way low. freaking annoying

I more so got used to it rather than figured something was wrong

1993 Dodge Stealth ES - 15.048 @ 97.15mph September 2008 ROTM - 196hp/184tq
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 -13.3@104.9mph @ 14PSI - June 2009 ROTM
sponsored by BC Racing http://www.bcracing-na.com/
1320VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Paid Member

Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3

Quote:
no i can set it at what ever setting..and it holds ...
Damn, well it may still be ECU resetting. Maybe try to do something to trip a CEL and then shut the car off. See if the CEL is still there after turning it back on. If not then the ECU lost its constant.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Oh SNAP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Damn, well it may still be ECU resetting. Maybe try to do something to trip a CEL and then shut the car off. See if the CEL is still there after turning it back on. If not then the ECU lost its constant.
i will try that tomaorow..
Old 12-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Paid Member

Good luck. I may be completely wrong, but I just know I blew a fuse one day that made my ECU reset with every shut off of the car. When my ECU resets my car idles like shit for a good 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.