Another Wrecked VR-4 - sad day - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93' VR-4
steveoVR$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Another Wrecked VR-4 - sad day

Sadly, i wrecked my 93 VR4 friday.
Luckily the other driver was at fault by pulling out of a alley way to oncoming traffic without looking.

After the initial rage and sadness i have been dealing with the strings and BS of insurance companies. Come monday i find out if they total it or not.

Anyways i wanted to see if anyone had any resources on selling the car? or a good place to buy parts for a repair?

im sure someone here would hawk in on it ASAP if i choose to sell

She WAS a beautiful 93 VR4 dark green. 13g turbos, and supporting mods, lots of performance parts. nearly new tires and a bran new 120k service.

ruined my front driver side A-Arm/ supports and driver side bumper, and some slight front bumper damage. no hood damage/ frame damage visible at all.

Im confident insurance will try to shaft me out of the thousands of dollars in performance mods because i dont have receipts.

whats the best route to take? Lawyer them?
anyone else had a similar experience?

any input is much appreciated, thanks guys!
steveoVR$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
The 3/S Messiah

Drives: 91 Stealth RT/TT
stealthify Level 1stealthify Level 1
Feedback Score: 53 reviews

Have any photos?

The insurance company likely won't help you much with any of the aftermarket stuff, but hopefully they're all salvageable if you plan on picking up a new 3s and transferring them over.

Personally, I'd say fix it up if you can.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
shade tree mechanic

Drives: 92 VR4
skrub is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: Another Wrecked VR-4 - sad day

there is another post on here i read talking about they to go into wreck. Check up on those they have some good info on what you can do. Im so sorry for your loss. I hate to see another VR4 R.I.P.

RS-R lowering springs,Ross 9:1 forged pistons bored 20 over,fidanza cam gears,Stillen downpipe,M2 exhaust cat back,adjustable rear upper control arms,3SX stock size aluminum crank pully,Maximal solid mounts,and still adding on.
skrub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93' VR-4
steveoVR$ is an unknown quantity at this point

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

has anyone here had their VR4 totaled? if so about how much did the insurance fork out to you?

im hoping to buy it back if they total it and either repair this one or pickup another VR4 and use this car for parts. who knows!
steveoVR$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
popups FTW

Drives: 1992 VR4
eengler2 Level 1eengler2 Level 1eengler2 Level 1
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Doesn't look too bad, but there's a good chance it will be totalled just because parts and labor will likely get close to the list value of the car. If body/frame is good, I'd buy it back and fix it. Pretty easy to get all of the parts you need.

Even if you don't fix it, the buy back will probably be low enough that it's worth it for the engine, turbos, mods, and good parts to build you another one
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
shade tree mechanic

Well just don't let the insurance company the kbb value of the car. Its going to be way less then you expected. I think its fair market value is what you should get for your car. Consider the rarity of our cars.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
shade tree mechanic

Or buy it back and part it out
Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Dodge Stealth RT
jonc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

After the insurance company comes to look at it, figure out when you can pull the fender and bumper off to see what is damaged underneath. It doesnt look too bad, the frame might be tweaked a bit depending how hard you were hit, but that looks totally fixable. Ive seen worse fixed.

Firestorm Red 92 Stealth FWD RT/TT - Performance: K&N, Magnaflow Exhaust, NGK Spark Plug Wires, SUPERMAC strut bars, Megan Coilovers, ADDCO Rear Sway, Hardrace Toe/Camber Arms Interior: Leather boots, Aluminum Door Grilles, ID Chameleons, US AMPS, Alpine Deck, Alpine Imprint, Custom Battery-in-trunk relocate Exterior: Debadged, Candy Red Valve Covers, STEALTH Spark Plug Cover, Enkei RPF1 Gold 17x8, TT Brake Upgrade, Alum Crank Pulley,TT Conversion, Forged Pistons and Pauter Rods, Lat-42 Pop Up Projectors
jonc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 Spyder VR4
SPYDERTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Each state has different laws on the books and each insurance company handles claims diiferently. I own a body shop and I always let the insurance co. show me there #s before I question there methods. I hit a deer with my Spyder. My estimate was $6900, the insurance co was $7039. Most of the time it doesn't work that way. You don't have to take there first offer if they total it, you can also take it the shop of your choice.I have customers that asume the insurance co is going to rip them off and get offensive with them fom the start with lawyer talk and alls that does is piss them off. Most insurance co have a team of lawyers that can drag shit on for a long time. My advise is to give them a chance to be fair, if they are not explain to them what you would settle for and prepare documentation and give them another chance. If there are unreasonable then call the State Insurance Commisioner or hire a lawyer.
Crower rods,Ross pistons, 99 lifters,Dynamic Racing Stage II heads-19t,Kelvar belt,Unorthodox gears,Poly mounts,Kormex trans,Quaife LSD,Stillen downpipe,Borla,AEM ecu-ignition-FPR,Blitz BOV-Boost contrller,DSM sidemounts,DNP hardpipe,Dejon,KN,Walbro hot wired,FJO wideband,Krankvents,Flex-a-lite,Setraub oil cooler,Alluminum radiator,Spec stage3+,Egr block off,EK2 loop,vacuum reduction.
SPYDERTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Paid Member

fredwei is an unknown quantity at this point

So sad to see VR4s disappearing.

I hope you can get decent money and fix the car.

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.