Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Aftermarket Ellectrical Gauges Installation

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ilian51378 
#1 · (Edited)
I got some ellectrical gauges for my TT conversion and I was wondering if I could use the stock wiring to wire them up? I researched and found that mechanical gauges require new wiring, but what about the ellectrical ones? Can I use the stock senders or is it necessary to install the aftermarket ones? I am asking particularly about the oil pressure and the water temperature gauges. Here is the installation diagram that comes with the gauges:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If it was me, I would use new wires. Being how old our cars are, I don't trust factory wires being in good shape.but that's just me.

#3 · (Edited)
My question is theoretical though, would the gauges work if I just tapped the stock wiring and left the stock senders in place?

#4 ·
Yes but why would you want to use stock sensors? Also need to make sure the sensor wires inputs are the same from stock to aftermarket wires.

#6 ·
Sorry, I mistyped... I meant senders and not sensors... The question is only about the oil pressure and water temperature gauges. I will wire the rest of the gauges with the aftermarket wiring, but I though that I could save myself time and effort if I just used the stock wiring and senders for these two.

#5 ·
Also what gauges you replacing? Boost,oil pressure,temp,volts?

#7 ·
Ok, well aren't the senders a sensors the same thing? If your talking about the part that is on the motor that send the info to the gauges then if it was me, I would use the new senders or sensors. But if the old ones are working fine then and you want to save time on install, just use your old ones. At least you will have new ones just Incase the old ones stop working. Just use good connecters when trapping in your wires.

#8 ·
That answered my question, thanks!

#11 ·
Changing the sensors should be quick so I will do that. Its the wiring that would take longer, but I will use the stock wires. Thanks for the input guys!

#12 ·
You can certainly use the stock wires for power, ground, and illumination. You most likely won't be able to use the stock sensor wires simply because the stock senders are a one wire setup that uses the threads as ground. All quality aftermarket gauges use dedicated ground wire.

#13 ·
Got it! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.