98-99 3000gt/vr4 ecu flash tuning - Page 4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
High Roller

Drives: 06 Lexus GS
DC 95VR-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Default Re: 98-99 3000gt/vr4 ecu flash tuning

Judging from the way this thread is headed it looks like this ECU mod is quite a ways off from proven results. I guess I will finish out the plans with my EMU.

__________1999 VR4___________

DR750R, Pampena forged 3.2L. port/polish. Eboost2, AEM WBO2. Chrome V2 ECU Flash. Poly mounts. Dual Walbro kit. Tanabe Concept G Blue. Billet flywheel/ cryo stage 5 clutch. polished dual core FMIC. pre/and catless downpipe. short shift. Tein Flex coilovers. upgraded brakes/wheels. show quality 1000watt alpine dvd system/with brahma 10" subs and Seas Lotus comps. neon lighted vinyl/plexi box and amp rack.
DC 95VR-4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 240SX
Dark-Hawk Level 1Dark-Hawk Level 1Dark-Hawk Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I thought this seemed a little suspicious. Judging by Dennis' posts it didn't seem likely that he had the technical knowledge to even edit the sourcecode for an opensource app.

Jeff, it's insane to see you post on here again - but for good reasoning. Glad to hear you're still working on the ECU's.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Drives: 3000gt x3
Dj4play Level 1Dj4play Level 1
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
Dennis....congratulations. I have not posted on 3SI for close to 2 years, but through your pioneering efforts and unique blend of bullshit, I'm back.

You are SO fucking full of it with all these claims of "modifying open source software to work with the 3000GT". FULL of it.

I'll get right to the point for those with a limited attention span, and then we can flesh out the details for people the people who are interested in the details.

Quick history lesson. All Mitsubishis from 1998 until 2000 (except the 98 Galant) used an ECU based on a Renesas MH7202F or MH7203F CPU.

The program Dennis is using is called ECU Flash and is made by Colby Bolesand reflash cable. It costs $189, and you can buy it here> , who owns Tactrix. Colby recently introduced his OpenPort 2.0 diagnostic tactrix

It's a bargain, IMHO.

But getting back to the point, Dennis isn't "customizing open source software" to work with the car. There's no such thing as a "PID". If anyone pays him a dime, that person is a fool.

The old versions of ECUFlash could read from the 720xF, but couldn't write to it due to a security error. Now that Colby fixed his software, the only thing missing is a text file that tells ECUFlash where all the variables are stored within the ECU.

Here's where it gets fun. I already have one. It's not finished, but I do have one. I've been working on 3S ECUs on and off for the last few months. Anyone with member access to 3S Tech can back me up on this one.

I highly doubt Dennis is writing or customizing anything. From what I've seen from him over the years, I can't for a minute imagine him having the skillset necessary to understand raw microcontroller code. He's either having someone else work on it, or he's waiting for the 3G Eclipse guys to figure out their definition files so he can piggy back on their work.

So here's the deal. I'll get back on board with this and share what I know, and I'll do it FOR FREE. You'll still have to buy the stuff from Tactrix (it's a BARGIN, BTW) but I'll help with the definition file. You guys just need to ask. All I know is, it turns my stomach to see someone like Dennis taking credit and MONEY for other people's hard work.

I can't fucking STAND that kind of shit.
First. I never said how much it was going to cost, obviously people are going to have to purchase hardware in order to flash their cars. The technology and means to do so already exists, simply no one has attemtped, or has bothered to make this work for the 3s car. I will make it work. And yes. I am having someone else work on it with me as i stated in the beginning to joe that i was not going to make any money on this deal HENCE why he is the one handling most of the questions. I have taken no ones money, will NOT take anyones money, if something already woks for the car, please show me so i dont have to waste my time and you can go ahead and take the credit. If you dont know what a PID is im surprised to took the time to come out of your 2 yr hibernation and make a complete fool of yourself saying there is no such thing. OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And yes, i am using the hard work of other people to lay the foundation for a new product for the 3s community. As did mercedes-benz when they created the first motor-vehicle, many other things spawned from that idea. So if i did something wrong please let me know what it is guys. Gatecrasher, your an idiot. I made no effort in hiding what im using and working with and not trying to take peoples money. Your comments were rude, insulting, and obviously need to be more thought out. a PID is the very thing you must know to make the software work you moron.

it is obvious you have been workign on this for some time. And probabaly a slap in the face if i help bring it to the community prior to you showign your beloved face here again. I did JACK shit to deserve a ball busting tryign to help JOE out. JOE was the one who contacted ME about this several times. I then told him i would help him. My friend at powerchip australia is the person helping me with the code. Im sure he could offer you some helpful information.

and if i say am able to get something working in about 3 weeks what then ? am i just some idiot who connected dots to bring another product to the platform? Did i get lucky? Did i steal the information from you and take credit?...
and another thing. Powerchip has already flash tuned these ecus before. Just not given PeoPLE the ability to do it themselves

Last edited by Dj4play; 10-12-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Dj4play is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Aghhhh

Drives: 95 Spyder VR4
Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

So I was right. You're letting other people do the work, and you're getting to act like some kind of hero.

Let's spell a few things out here.

OBD2 and its associated data has all of jack shit to do with internal mapping in the ECU. OBD2 has jack shit to do with injector compensation, MAF sizing, and fuel enrichment tables. OBD2 is slow, and limited when it comes to the data that can acquire.

I don't even concern myself with this OBD2 nonsense. Anyone with one iota of smarts when it comes to this shit only touches the OBD2 protocols when they want to disable a test to shut off a MIL.

Anyone working with ECUFlash on Mitsubishi and Subaru are working with the MUT and SSM protocols. OBD2 is a fucking JOKE compared to the manufacturer proprietary protocols when it comes to data acquisition. OBD2 has absolutely NO definition for how to read from and write to a manufacturer flash protocol.

As for what I've been working on, I'm reverse engineering a Techtom ECU and the maps and technology within it. I read from and write to Techtom's scrambled EPROMS. I did have help, and I will freely admit that to anyone who asks. But the key is, we did it without having so much as ever SEEN Techtom's tools for doing so. The 91-95 stuff is pre-OBD2, which is yet another reason I don't give two shits about that protocol. It does however work with the MUT protocol found all the way up to at least 2007 Mitsubishis. It may apply to 2008+ models, but I haven't read up on any protocol changes that came with their move to CAN bus technology.

Speaking of that, the so-called "hybrid" ECUs are nothing more than MUT compatible units. All the bullshit about this magic voodoo protocol needed to talk to them was just an excuse for certain people to make a LOT of money off of loggers.

But back to you. First you said it was you and Joe working on this. Figuring it out, and customizing some open-source program. Now I find out Joe is just a cheerleader, and you're letting Powerchips do all the legwork. What I find even funnier is that you first said it was an OpenPort 2 that you figured out "by accident" on a customer car, but now you say it's Powerchips proprietary voodoo.

So what the fuck is it Dennis? Do you yourself actually have a clue, or are you just parroting (poorly, I might add) what other people are telling you.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
So I was right. You're letting other people do the work, and you're getting to act like some kind of hero.

Let's spell a few things out here.

OBD2 and its associated data has all of jack shit to do with internal mapping in the ECU. OBD2 has jack shit to do with injector compensation, MAF sizing, and fuel enrichment tables. OBD2 is slow, and limited when it comes to the data that can acquire.

I don't even concern myself with this OBD2 nonsense. Anyone with one iota of smarts when it comes to this shit only touches the OBD2 protocols when they want to disable a test to shut off a MIL.

Anyone working with ECUFlash on Mitsubishi and Subaru are working with the MUT and SSM protocols. OBD2 is a fucking JOKE compared to the manufacturer proprietary protocols when it comes to data acquisition. OBD2 has absolutely NO definition for how to read from and write to a manufacturer flash protocol.

As for what I've been working on, I'm reverse engineering a Techtom ECU and the maps and technology within it. I read from and write to Techtom's scrambled EPROMS. I did have help, and I will freely admit that to anyone who asks. The 91-95 stuff is pre-OBD2, which is yet another reason I don't give two shits about that protocol. It does however work with the MUT protocol found all the way up to at least 2007 Mitsubishis. It may apply to 2008+ models, but I haven't read up on any protocol changes that came with their move to CAN bus technology.

Speaking of that, the so-called "hybrid" ECUs are nothing more than MUT compatible units. All the bullshit about this magic voodoo protocol needed to talk to them was just an excuse for certain people to make a LOT of money off of loggers.

But back to you. First you said it was you and Joe working on this. Figuring it out, and customizing some open-source program. Now I find out Joe is just a cheerleader, and you're letting Powerchips do all the legwork. What I find even funnier is that you first said it was an OpenPort 2 that you figured out "by accident" on a customer car, but now you say it's Powerchips proprietary voodoo.

So what the fuck is it Dennis? Do you yourself actually have a clue, or are you just parroting (poorly, I might add) what other people are telling you.
No one is here to get into a pissing match. There is no such thing as a PID is what you said. No one is here to make a huge profit on the deal. Im not here to say i invented sliced bread. You obviously want the credit for doing something. Im working with powerchip because there are things i dotn know how to do. Nothing proprietary. I know what i said. This will be available for people to use soon. Talk shit elsewhere and please allow this thread to explain as more progresses. If people want to option to go this route and let them. Go back into hibernation or release some flash software that works for everyone so i dont have to worry about it. Otherwise im done. I suggest you get to work or you wont have your GLORY. I suppose your big comeback post was going to be you figured out how to flashtune the ecus and have everyone welcome you back while releasing something new. I could really give a shit. I just want to see it done. Now its already being done and you have to knock on me. fair enough

Last edited by Dj4play; 10-12-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Aghhhh

When it comes to reflashing or otherwise editing maps within an ECU, there's no such thing as a PID. They apparently exist, but they are irrelevant in the context of what we want to do.

Let's get some things straight here. Maybe we can get some simple, no bullshit answers. If you're not in this to make money, if you're not in this to make money for your buddies in OZ, then let's keep this open and honest.

Are you using the new Tactrix OpenPort 2.0, or not?

If you are, then what does Powerchips have to do with this since Tactrix already offers mapping and flashing software as part of the OP2 and older packages?

Regardless of what data you've changed, have you successfully written an altered ROM file to a 98 or 99 3000GT, or a 2000 Eclipse? You can't just chose to rewrite an unchanged image to the ECU. You'll get a false success message if you do. You have to change at least one byte to get a real test.
Gatecrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
When it comes to reflashing or otherwise editing maps within an ECU, there's no such thing as a PID. They apparently exist, but they are irrelevant in the context of what we want to do.

Let's get some things straight here. Maybe we can get some simple, no bullshit answers. If you're not in this to make money, if you're not in this to make money for your buddies in OZ, then let's keep this open and honest.

Are you using the new Tactrix OpenPort 2.0, or not?

If you are, then what does Powerchips have to do with this since Tactrix already offers mapping and flashing software as part of the OP2 and older packages?

Regardless of what data you've changed, have you successfully written an altered ROM file to a 98 or 99 3000GT, or a 2000 Eclipse? You can't just chose to rewrite an unchanged image to the ECU. You'll get a false success message if you do. You have to change at least one byte to get a real test.
Yes, using openport.
powerchip has figured out most of the code and have successfully flashed a 98 -99 ecu for a vr4 in the passes. they are code crackers. They use opensource (free) software to flash tune cars for big money. MANy tuners do this. but if you cant figure out all the line code and all the sensors, blah blah blah, you cant doall the stuff you want with the software. We just successfully cracked the new BMW siemens ecu with them, which NO ONE has been able to do yet. They will finish coe for the software, i will test it on my dyno and see how far i can take it to its limitations and we will in turn give my firends soem dough for the help and tell everyone where to buy the cables or do a groupbuy to get them cheaper. joe was not in this to make money either. He just wanted to be able to tune his car
Old 10-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Aghhhh

So they're using Tactrix's $190 OpenPort 2 hardware, but their own altered open source software.

Which open source package are they using? The whole point of "open source" is, depending on the license, they're legally required to release their changes back into the community.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
So they're using Tactrix's $190 OpenPort 2 hardware, but their own altered open source software.

Which open source package are they using? The whole point of "open source" is, depending on the license, they're legally required to release their changes back into the community.
They figured out the source code to the ecu and are using one of the MANY programs to manipulate it. They use theyre own stuff to my knowledge, but the stuff given to the 3si group will be most likely altered version of what im usuing and posted
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
Aghhhh

Why is disclosure so hard for some of you people?

Rather than talking up how you and Joe were going to figure all this out and you didn't know a price, just tell the truth.

Neither one of you has much technical skill in this, so you handed it off to Powerchips Australia. They're going to figure it out, and sell something on top of Tactrix's $190 OpenPort 2.0 product. Joe is the cheerleader, Dennis is the guy who introduced the parties, and Powerchips and Tactrix are the ones providing an actual solution.

Is that so hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.