91 Rebuild w/ Phantoms - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT VR4
codyandrson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Default 91 Rebuild w/ Phantoms

I bought my first VR4 earlier this year and soon after spun a bearing. I decided to do a built short block while I have it apart and am in the process of doing that. Its a 91 and already had Phantoms on it so I plan to have those rebuilt and see how far I can push them. I'm also wanting to stick with some sort of SMIC since I don't like the look of the 91 with a FMIC. Ill be updating with details and ideas so if you have any input that would be great. This is my first performance build but I feel confident that I can do what I need to do, what I don't have is years of knowledge and experience with these cars as many other members do. Thanks for any help
codyandrson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Default Re: 91 Rebuild w/ Phantoms

If you want to keep sidemounts the easiest is DSM converted sidemounts, double the size and fit without any problems.

Coop
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 107 reviews

especially with surgetastic phantoms I would stick with sidemounts.

Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, E85, Chrome ECU, 85mm MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Ok the current plan (eventually) is to convert to running e85, hopefully be able to run 91 and e85 if aem comes out with their firmware update. Plan to run a series 2 with wideband. For the time being stick with stock refreshed heads but im replaceing everything while the engines out (all new gaskets, water pump, oil pump, all seals and 60k). Eventually upgrade the sidemounts and install hard intake piping. I was hoping to be able to push just over 20 psi with the phantoms and I was looking at having them rebuilt by MTC. All of this is preliminary right now, just putting my plan out there to see if anyone has input/suggestions.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Currently have the engine out and I am accumulating parts for the rebuild, the current plan is to pick up some H-beams from mcandevr4 and grab a set of Pampena's Ross pistons. The pistons seem to come strongly reccomended and everyone I have talked to about the rods has had no issues. Already picked up a forged crank (still had factory cast when the bearing spun) and am going to micropolish it before assembly.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thoughts on rebuilding the phantoms? I havent seen any real #'s on them and I am curious to test them since I already have them. Things to look out for? What are your thoughts about trying to switch to e85 and get a base tune to do break in? Other idea was to remain stock to break motor in. Only problem is that I have an old school HKS VPC to run speed density and I didnt get the stock MAF when I bought it. Not sure how well I can get it to run using just that. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2

no one that I have ever heard of had phantoms run for any period of time. I'd put them on ebay and get the most you can from them.

pickup a stock maf and stock injectors and break your motor in with that.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
3/S Tech

Drives: Slickwheel's Mistake
toddrs93 Level 1toddrs93 Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Yea we installed and tuned a few sets of phantoms back in the day when I worked at altered atmosphere. Phantoms were poorly designed and not properly tested. The result was that surge all the time which honestly I don't think it ever hurt anything, just sounded funny and if you can pretty much learn to manipulate the pedal a little you can drive around the surging. We did push 2 or 3 built cars and they did great at low boost. Very quick spool up and from one that I remember I think it was around 450whp at 16psi. But shortly after that they hit a wall. I can't remember what we got with race gas. I think it was over 500 but again much over 20 psi they did nothing.

www.autovelocity.net
AFFORDABLE ECU REBUILDS
QUALITY TRANS REBUILDS DONE CHEAP
N/A Rear Mount Turbo Kits
Auto Velocity
301-991-6501
toddrs93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Forest Gump : What do you mean by "Surgetastic"? Im not sure what you are talking about but I am intersted in knowing. All I could find for surging was compressor surge which seems to be a bov issue and not specific to a type of turbo.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

yes I am referring to compressor surge. Some turbo combinations are far more likely to surge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.