$6k-$7k to spend on a car, what should I get? - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formerlly Ps933kgt

Drives: Blown Viper
Vital Velocity Level 1Vital Velocity Level 1
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Default Re: $6k-$7k to spend on a car, what should I get?

Ls fbody for sure

For your photography needs; VisualVelocityStudios.com

2002 Viper GTS- Intake and Exhaust Work
In the works- ??? ???
Vital Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
ATOLDASO

Drives: 91 Stealth TT
Hard AttacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ATXVR2 View Post
all day and all night

NBF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher
DSM owner = king of how fast can i go for $26.
91tt-money bitch
92tt-daily bitch
Hard AttacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1996 3000GT VR-4
jfdr6911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'd get a whacky waving inflatable flailing arm tube man and wire it to pop out of my lexan hatch at red lights. May save a bit of weight so it's free to be used at the track too.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

kipfrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

thanks for the replies, I have looked at some fox body's, one in my area has a vortec supercharger, but has water in the oil. My friend who is a mechanic said it would be an easy fix...but im not a huge fan of the looks of a fox body. Also lt1, or ls1's are legit, I have seem some decent ones in my area.
kipfrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper!

Drives: Vr4 / S30z / M35X
tensecs2fame is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Pop on zilvia and look for a rb25/26 240sx. They're cheap, fast, reliable, and have tons of aftermarket backing
tensecs2fame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ancient Spirit Of Evil

Drives: Mumra tank
kelvinTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I saw a 1998 firebird formula with 89k miles for 7k just this evening near my house... those things sure can be sweet and maintenance is a snap with all the available cheap domestic parts for chevy/gm cars

I can show you what it's like to lose control...
kelvinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cams: Where less is more

Drives: slowly
2FAST4U is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be a little biased, but bang for the buck, an f-body is hard to beat
2FAST4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member

Richter12x2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not particularly a fan of Mustangs myself because there are so many, but parts are incredibly cheap ($300 for a 5.0L engine? Yes please!) and aftermarket is deep. My wife loves hers, but I've replaced all the suspension now. Coilover conversion, tubular a-arms, k member, camber plates and trailing arms all for less than $1k. And a solid rear axle is a LOT of fun.
It's not a bad car, just kinda... common. But for the price and cost/ease to repair, it's hard to beat. For example, here are some things we bought (not necessarily because we had to) - locking rear diff with 3.27's - $300. 3.73 gearset - $100. Catted x-pipe, $300. 4 piston aluminum calipers for front, larger rotors all around, $250. 3 row aluminum radiator, $225. Increased duration cam - $100. The prices are just insanely low.

Food for thought, I picked up my 1985 Porsche 928 in the price range you're talking about and love it, but the cost to replace my alternator is more than the cost to replace everything in the Mustangs enginebay. My rear turn signals cost more than her engine did. Not to mention if I have to break down and pay someone else to do it.
Richter12x2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Stealth TT
Stealth TT 92 is an unknown quantity at this point

american: 90's camaro/firebird, 90's mustang gt, early 90's c4 vette with a 5spd manual or auto

japanese: 240sx, 300zx n/a, 3/s n/a, late 80's rx7 if your willing to own a rotory(no bad, rebuild takes a day), mk3 supra

euro: i highly recommend a porsche 944 8v. not fast, but when maintained are very reliable, great handling, timeless looks(i used to get asked what year all the time, and most people love them), timing belt takes all of 2 hours to do. also, e36(i would not recommend an e46, it'll be junk for 7g), mercedes e190 amg...good luck finding one, but a ton of fun to drive.

and no to the 928, trust me, you want something reliable, for 5g a 928 is anything but reliable. 15g for a 928 would get you a later model with the 32V v8 pushing over 300hp, similar in handling to the vr4, being that the 928 had a full active rear suspension and axle that acted like rear wheel steering. great cars and they're fans of being supercharged(early models are easier to s/c)

everything i say is a joke, unless it's serious
Stealth TT 92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member

Richter12x2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TT 92 View Post
and no to the 928, trust me, you want something reliable, for 5g a 928 is anything but reliable. 15g for a 928 would get you a later model with the 32V v8 pushing over 300hp, similar in handling to the vr4, being that the 928 had a full active rear suspension and axle that acted like rear wheel steering. great cars and they're fans of being supercharged(early models are easier to s/c)
Well, mine's an '85, which has the 5.0L all aluminum DOHC V8 (the engine you're talking about) that they continued up to the GTS (you can get one used for about $40k), but with the earlier, lighter body, and I picked mine up for $3200, but it was a non-runner. The good news it took only about $50 to get it running like the German beast that it is, but it took quite a bit of time. The engines reportedly last 300k miles and longer if you take care of them, but other pieces on the car are odd as far as price goes. For example, if you need a new MAF Sensor, it'll run you about $1000, almost as much as a rebuilt auto transmission.
As far as handling like a VR4... I'd wager the 928 is a little better - the car was the equivalent of 120k when it came out, and was designed to replaced the 911. The handling is beautiful, the only thing scary is thinking you're cruising down the highway at 80-90 and realizing you've crept up to 120mph, in a car that was built 25 years ago (happened during my first test drive.)

More realistically, you can get a nice one that needs nothing for sub $10k, sub $7k if you get the earlier one with 240hp. The early ones are still plenty of fun, and less to go wrong electronically. It's a car that can be rewarding if you're a fearless do it yourselfer, the 288hp 5.0L in my car, dynod 245hp at the wheels when I got it, but after a few bolt ons mods, now dynos over 300hp at the wheels.

But if you're going to pay someone else to do the work, I can't recommend it. But for the same reason I can't recommend a BMW, Audi, or 944 to anyone either. They see the marque on the hood and starting adding money in their heads. Dropping the transmission on a 928 is easier than replacing the Transmission on a '94 Mustang, even though it's in the back. But see what estimates you get on each one. Doing my own work, I still don't have 7k in mine including the price of the car, and most of that was paint and body. The most expensive thing? 87+ year model turn signal lights for the updated front bumper cover at $300 per side.
Richter12x2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.