#39 1996 Dodge Stealth RT/TT Located - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1996 RT/TT #39
VR4_007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default #39 1996 Dodge Stealth RT/TT Located

About a month ago #39 hit the market. #39 was one of the ones that was historically unaccounted for until now.

#39 was purchased brand new in New York in 1996 and came to Montana shortly thereafter. It stayed with the same owner until he recently passed away. He left the car to his wife who gave it to a family friend to pay off a debt. That individual sold it to me.

Within a day of the car being listed a price was agreed upon and my one way ticket was bought.

The glove box ended up being a holy grail of documentation. From the original window sticker, to the original bill of sale and factory warranty information all the documentation was there. There was enough documentation to fill a binder.

The original owner was a stealth enthusiast but not a forum member. The 96 was his 3rd and final stealth, the first two were also twin turbo cars.

He was a Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran - a Urilogist.

He married his high school sweetheart and they proceeded to spend the next 65 years together.

He retired in 1996 and started his private practice. His obituary referenced his need to have a fast car to speed off in the middle of the night in order to tend to emergency calls.

In or about 2006/2007 the car was involved in a low speed collision. After I bought the car I was able to get in touch with the original owners son and he told me that his father was hit in a parking garage when he was backing out of his parking spot. Considering that I already bought the car and that his son had no real interest in keeping his dadís car, I would like to believe his rendition.

The car was fixed right but for some reason first gen door caps and side skirts were used. The Drivers side door has a totally different VIN sticker on it. Iím guessing there was another Firestorm Red donor car that was picked. Apparently money was not an issue with the original owner, so I have to assume he liked the look of the first gens more than the second gens -considering he had two other first gens. I donít know though. I struggle with leaving it as is or putting the right trim pieces on it.

The car drove very nice from Montana to Las Vegas. It pulls hard and you can tell it was treated well.

In speaking with the son he had a very interesting story to tell about his father. Part of me feels like making a small documentary on the Stealth and Charles (original owner) but I am well into the documentary I am making on my 1970 GTX. I am also finishing up my last year of law school but I do think I am going to make a documentary on this car. There is something that has really made me curious about it.

The flight to Montana consisted of me making a todo list with the car. That included fixing the door caps/side skirts, removing the various stickers, etc. Being honest though, knowing now what I know about the owner, all these little things really give the car character. As a veteran myself I wont be removing ANY of the stickers. It was hard to make them out in the original ad but now that I know they are service connected, political or law enforcement related they are going to stay.

I am toying with the idea of modifying the car with some performance upgrades though.

Anywho, here are some pics and a link to the obit for those that are curious of the individual.

Dr. Charles E. Umhey Jr. | Obituaries | missoulian.com

1996 RT/TT #39
1994 RT/TT Black/Black - Intake.
1970 Dodge Challenger - 383 4 speed
1970 Plymouth GTX - #s Matching 440, 4 Speed, Super Track Pack
VR4_007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

SWENDAB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: #39 1996 Dodge Stealth RT/TT Located

Sweet. Wish I could get my hands on one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
SWENDAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

cool story. I'd also follow your path of leaving the stickers but replacing the body parts with the correct parts.
the documentation is awesome! restorers dream about finding original docs!

what is the mileage on the car? do you have the service history?

Mods from stock:
VMS Racing 10.2mm spark plug wires, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, gutted/deleted precatalytic converters, front & rear slotted & drilled brake rotors from eBay, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, Koyo radiator with brackets, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, SCE brake caliper stiffening bolts, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Free boost mod, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93VR4/95SL/94supra
95_3kgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Nice write up. Glad to see it's been treated well and from the sound of it will continue to be loved. And thank you for your service as well. Prior US Army veteran myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Street Racer

NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

wow nice find...it would be nice to see a documentary on it

R.I.P. Totalled January 2016
1995 Widebody 3000GT VR-4
NOMIEZVR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Spd Kills your bank acc.

Drives: '97VR4|'14 DurangoRT
SpdDemon Level 1SpdDemon Level 1

very nice update on the car.
SpdDemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1996 RT/TT #39
VR4_007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Thanks everyone. It has 111K miles on it. Bone stock.
VR4_007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
The MoonShine Man

Drives: 1xxx Whp
jrod Level 2jrod Level 2jrod Level 2jrod Level 2
Feedback Score: 46 reviews

Very very cool!
1999 VR4 Stockish
2009 JK JEEP 37's and Locked
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
11 Second Dreamer

Drives: 1995 Base TT AWD
3KGT95R is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on the new addition! Great write-up too.
3KGT95R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

I like it!

cool car and Story!
SnakeSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country