1992 Sandstone VR4 Resto-Mod build. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default 1992 Sandstone VR4 Resto-Mod build.

*Additional Updates, Edits, Pictures, and Commentary.*

6/15/2016: Updates, and rehosted missing pictures.

Hey guys,

As many of you know I wrecked my blue car (sadly) into a Tree and the damage was beyond a sane level of repair.

Few months prior this car had shown up on my local 3/S facebook page, and while I had ATON of interest in it, it just wasn't practical for me to pick up a 4th car.

Well, now was the perfect time - I set up a time to go look at the car and check it over to get and idea of what it needed, The car was exactly what I have been looking for...

1G
Sandstone Gray paint
Removeable Glass sunroof
Charcole/Gray/Black interior
VR4 (I would have gladly been fine with an SL assuming the rest was good)

OK, it wasn't perfect - the paint is shot - need some body love, and its not exactly rust free...but it is pretty much so on the parts that mater (Structural, frame, stuff not easily replaced, etc.) and it wasn't the 100% Stock, one or two owner car either...it had its share of abuse, and had been modified in the past, no Engine or trans - I've already found a few surprises and see more in my future I'm sure.

Two weeks later I showed up with a trailer, loaded it up, and brought it home.

It had been sitting for a fair amount of time, driven briefly again, and then pulled apart where it sat and collected dust. Thank fully the owner who is an awesome dude was resisting parting the car out because he didn't want to kill it off and send it to the junkyard...

We also drove through a Tornado on the way back...that was fun lol

"...Why is everyone parking under the underpasses/bridges?" haha

Also shout out to my man Kyle, Best friend, fellow hoon, and 3/S partner in crime for helpin me out like always to lend a hand loading and unloading car, as well as just hanging out - and keeping me motivated.

Anyways to the Fun Stuff. (I apologize in advanced if some of the pictures are blurry - often they look fine on my phone until I look at them on the computer)

PRE-Tornado...just stopped at gas station for celebratory Cigars.

Home

Lets check it out....

Here you see my 5 Speed AWD Trans + Tcase + parts hiding in the corner; that another local member/friend gave me a steal on.

Very Excited to have the glass roof again, I missed it so much. * I have glass - its just removed in this picture to help air out the car - it kinda smelled from sitting...

Interior needs MAJOR love. *Dont we all?* #foreveralone haha.

High miles don't scare me...I like to think of them as points

DIY Rear mount battery box - started process of removing it..I don't want that in there...

Last edited by Warzone; 06-15-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: hf84iddus
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: 1992 Sandstone VR4 Resto-Mod build.

Car DOES have some fender cancer...I'm guessing it was scraped on the side and took the paint down to bare metal and it was never fixed...so then it just got salt and water on it constantly then was never washed so it just rotted away rather quickly...because I have seen cars with much less rust on the underbody - subframe - suspension area, and never have anything like this on fenders...I'm not worried about that though, you'll enjoy what I have instore for that

Front fender, I just so happen to have a spare driverside fender in perfect shape.

Thy challenged laid before me.

LETS GET STARTED!

First things first, that interior needs to come out - it stunk and was nasty!

Began stripping engine bay too. A/C, ABS, Emissions, Brake lines, Fuel lines, Wiring harness, AWS, etc. all coming out.

Last edited by Warzone; 06-15-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Interior done, after removing everything that needed to be I vacuumed out the floor/car, took a stiff bristle brush and hot soapy water, and scrubbed the whole floor/hatch/sheetmetal.... and then sucked it all dry with the shop vac...this was all before I took the following picture.

As you can see I went ahead and used some Satin black primer to clean up where the paint/existing primer was worn down badly and or too bare metal..

UGh JB Weld again??? WTF! - Once I cut the hose, and removed the fuel hat assembly I was pleased to find the gas did not smell to terribly old - and the inside of the tank along with the other side of the fuel hat you can't see was nice and clean and rust free (THANK LAWD)

Heres a pile of SH^$ for ya, everything removed from the car that is Trash or Salvage. Including the TT harness...I'll use it for parts (unless someone wants it)

ONTO The donor car...

Poor car, I love you, I miss you, thank you for 3 (almost) very enjoyable automotive years, I will never forget youuu.

Dis-assembly begins.. I don't have any pictures...but for the most part I stripped the car clean of EVERYTHING I possibly can, still a little left to doo....very hard for me...

Last edited by Warzone; 06-15-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Re-Assembly and Resto work begins!

Starting with interior....because everything is in the mail LOL

I gave the carpet a good cleaning with a pressure washer and hot soap, then allowed it to dry for a few days in the sun...it smells *and looks* much better.

My beautiful shifter setup from Stealth.... True Seattle Short throw, awesome shift knob that I've had for 3 years now and its just awesome...solid base bushings (also solid linkage bushings on trans side)

Can't say I've ever had an interior in the 5 3/S I have had fit so well ESPECIALLY after I just tore it ALL apart, I'll take that as a Good omen...

Passenger seat, and door panel from Stealth...interior cleaning up nicely...

Also one of the first things I did was strip that Ugly (in my opinion) Night shade off the car - its just not for me or my build... Acetone and some paper towels works great for this and will not harm the finish of the lights..

More to come tomorrow...

So about the build...

Right now I'm just trying to get the car up and going before summers over so I can enjoy it - I will do whatever work needs to be done before then though - then this winter comes the big stuff.

I'm mainly trying to focus on a restoration for this car....I want to keep the interior looking mostly stock and comfortable with added safety - and some nice touches...no gauges though....I don't really like aftermarket gauges in theses cars for some reason haha...

Outside is kinda up in the air - but I plan to retain the Active Aero and the 1G body.... I will consider things like a vented hood for good heat evac as well as shave some weight, but I don't want to get too crazy...however I have some exciting plans for the body...

Power wise right now nothing special will remain 10:1 on 9Bs, I had it pretty well dialed in/running conservatively at 14 psi in the stealth.

I plan lots of Suspension, Tire, and brakes with out getting to out of control, I want to be able to slap stock 17s on the car if I ever need to/feel like it.

Just well thought out, and quality upgrades. Really I just want to clean the car up, and drive it all over the place.

Questions and Constructive Criticism welcome.... stay tuned for more.

Last edited by Warzone; 06-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thursday was a paid holiday for me being it my birthday, so I took the day to drink beer, and eat delicious food...also i worked on the vr4 for 12 hours...

Interior in the car is done except for 1 or 2 small trim pieces I'm misisng/were broken and i couldn't salvage from the stealth. I started on the fuel system next...I'll post more up later..

Here's a taste...

LCDBC and Innovate LC2 wideband mounted in glove box...this is before I actually put the glove box back in all the way so it looks a little messy, I ran some nylon braided loom over the cables and tied down the LCDBC. (and straightened it)

I had this mounted in my coin tray up by the radio on the stealth, but now I have an Active Aero switch there, so I thought this would be a nice out of the way place to mount it, and you won't see it. I mounted it the perfect height down so I can operate it comfortably with my thumb while driving.

Not too crazy about having a bunch of aftermarket gauges and stuff in my car - so this does the job beautifully and ALMOST can pass as factory...

Pimpin' Purple (do people still use that word?)

I've got alot more to post, and alot more to do tomorrow and over the weekend...I was kinda hung over from last night.....

Stay tuned for more updates, the fun stuff is coming.

Last edited by Warzone; 09-07-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

I really did not get near as much done this weekend as I planned, I had some family visiting so that took up alot of my time this weekend (not a bad thing)

I also thought my paint would be here for the engine bay by Friday, but it did not show up - so that limited me to what I can get done since the bay isn't painted.

Interior is complete except for some misc Trim pieces I'll have to source, but that can wait till the car is running and driving

Transferred fuel system out of the Stealth and ran the -6 Fuel line

I went back to focusing on the engine bay after that - removed front bumper and was pleasantly surprised to find the SMIC air ducts, and 100% intact too. I am very happy about that - first time I've ever seen them intact on a 3/S that wasn't in a picture.

*Anyone interested in using these to model some aluminum ones after?*

Removed SMICS, factory Oil cooler, air dam. etc. The continued cleaning, stripping, sanding, grinding, etc.

Bay is 99% ready for Tape and primer....(It now sits fully primered, and ready for a little touch up sanding in a few spots, then the paint)

Last edited by Warzone; 09-06-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Paint arrived. Bay is done.

#Rattlecanlife

Yess factory color - matches beautifully! (and cleared)

Trying to get some good shots showing how shiny it is with the light reflecting off it

Last edited by Warzone; 09-07-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Time for a big update.

Don't think I've been slacking off and this build is just idling.

I've been Eating, Sleeping, Pooping, Working, Chasing a really cute Redhead at one of the Flying J's i service, and busting ass on the car.

Oil cooler came in

Began engine bay reassembly - Using radiator from Stealth, turns out its still good. I pressure tested it at 25 psi and couldn't find any leaks other then the o ring for the drain which i replaced...

Made a small aluminum bracket by hand out of some thin aluminum bar to help support the oil cooler, and bolted it to the bottom of the radiator support.. I used my oil lines with adapters from my stock oil cooler

I installed my clutch, and brake master cylinder - prop valves - and 3SX ABS delete kit all with the stainless lines.

The heat insulation wasn't worth saving - really the only hot spot i had problems with was right at the rear turbo (someday when I'm bored I'll make a nice heat shield. I bought this stuff that is suppose to be good for up to 1200*F to line that portion of the fire wall - i added a few extra layers around the brake lines - You could tell these were getting hot on the stealth because because the clear plastic/rubber around the braided stainless had turned a brown color.... They also are lower and further away from the turbine portion of the turbo so shouldn't have anymore problems there...

I like working with this stuff - its pretty nice, may find an excuse to put it somewhere else.

Commentary: This stuff has actually held up extremely well, to the heat, while keeping everything protected after these 3-4 months.

began mounting other things...

Fuel system I made myself (was the first AN line project I had ever done, did all the fittings and hose, its held up for a couple years now, very proud of it)

finished running brake lines into wheel wells and put the original rubber grommets back

reminder of the mess...

Last edited by Warzone; 01-07-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Next in line

went in flawlessly

I pulled the plenum and to do Spark plugs and intake manifold and plenum and TB gasket, I ordered these awhile ago because I was moving to a 1 step colder heat range...

was greeted with this...Surprisingly it didn't look like it had been leaking - maybe it was fresh - possible chain did it... Luckily I had a spare laying around!

she looks awfully clean...almost too clean...

Took a break from that, painted my wheels (again) they were satin black originally because, but I didn't feel like that color worked good with the sandstone. I wanted more contrast, and that clean and bright look almost

Also swapped breaks over from Stealth

Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

I also took the time to bleed brakes, and while I don't have a picture, I also installed Stainless brake lines on all 4 corners.

Poke for days, Don't worry I have something for that.

Now the Driverside fender on the VR4 was pretty messed up...I just so happened to have a cherry one from the Stealth...only problem was it was blue....So I took the left over paint I had and gave it a good solid quick paintjob.. Its not the best - but it will do for few months.

Front end assembly almost complete...fenders, intercoolers, guards, bumpers, lights, etc. some intercooler piping even... Also took this time to drain the old gas out of the gas tank

Commentary: Note the broken stud, I fixed this a few weeks later, don't worry.

Last edited by Warzone; 01-07-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country