Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Read please Lifters or Rod ?

1K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TwIzTeD_3kGt 
#1 ·
Okay so some of you know that I might have spun a bearing or so.

But I'm thinking it's actually the lifters going bad.
So check this out--->
Turn the car on from cold start.. starts to tick from driver side upper.
then the ticking slowly goes away. Looking from the drivers seat the oil light comes on saying 4qws that light will go off in about 20mins.....
Car is able to drive no noise nothing very smooth. If I hit 2500rpms or more the sound will start coming back...

Reason? more rpms more oil needed? equals lifters fail.. to deliver?
if I keep it under 2500rpms no tick drives great. what do you guys think?

Also can they diagnose the car for lifters fail?

#3 ·
i cant tell rev the motor a bit.

#4 ·
My 1994 VR4 I used to have did pretty much the same thing. It sounded just like that. Installing 3rd gen lifters cured the issue.

#13 ·
The lifters have a check valve in them to keep oil inside when the engine isnt running. If the valve is worn or has some debris in it the oil leaks out and the lifter "pumps down." This extra clearance causes the tick on startup. Oil pressure pumps it back up again and its OK until the next shutdown/startup.

I forgot to mention that you will find evidence of rod knock in the oil. Look for metal flake.

-SP

#8 ·
From what I can hear that sounds like classic lifter tick .. Basically what is happening is the lifter isnt squirting oil on cold startup for whatever reason .. Possibly plugged with a little sludge or it just drained when the engine cooled down etc. etc. and as such it is taking a little time for the oil to get flowing through that lifter again on a cold startup .. FWIW I've had lifters that occasionally tap at anytime .. Warm or cold engine .. The tick will come and go .. 99 3mm lifters will fix the problem 95% of the time and if you get them I strongly suggest you buy the quality OEM ones .. FWIW IPS has em for like 110.00 I think ..

#11 ·
sound like lifters - it is so often clicking..rod is not that fast with idle rpm( i know.. i run a motor myself with bearings little worned....and it just stopped and never start again....---> rebuild.

in my case fresh new oil pump helped a lot with ticking.. after a while i have installed big bore lifters but it ticks also little..but very little

#14 ·
Mine were ticking, I put half a can of Seafoam in and drove it a few hundred miles and then changed my oil, I haven't heard ticking ever since.

#16 ·
Okay news update.. Oil change didnt do anything still knocking...
Pulling 1 spark plug at a time starting from the top.
3rd one when removed makes knock go away... then place it back in the knock is back..
at this point i dont think its the lifters anymore but at the same time i wanna say it is..
fuck i really am unsure i keeping getting half half answers.
you guys say lifters lots of friends say rod/bearing..

I stopped driving it... and im seriously annoyed and scared..
sigh idk what to do at this point...

#25 ·
Okay news update.. Oil change didnt do anything still knocking...
Pulling 1 spark plug at a time starting from the top.
3rd one when removed makes knock go away... then place it back in the knock is back..
at this point i dont think its the lifters anymore but at the same time i wanna say it is..
fuck i really am unsure i keeping getting half half answers.
you guys say lifters lots of friends say rod/bearing..

I stopped driving it... and im seriously annoyed and scared..
sigh idk what to do at this point...
Time to pull the pan.

#19 ·
pull the oil pan if you are that worried. inspect the bearings. you've spent more time worrying about it than actually finding out what condition the bearings are in.

#20 ·
Re: Re: Read please Lifters or Rod ?

+1. Sound quality will be skewed on anything recorded, and opinions will always differ. To be 100% you need to do more investigation for yourself, or have someone knowledgeable (other than the first place you took it to) look at it. A stethoscope will help you track down where the noises are coming from.

#21 ·
You can get a datalogger and find out if its knocking. It sounds like lifter tick from your description.

You'll know if you spin a bearing, no power and horrendous sound.

#22 ·
the knock sensor that the datalogger reads is made to detect detonation, not rod knock or other mechanical engine noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.