Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

3000GT addiction story (long write-up) whats your story ?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  tensecs2fame 
#1 ·
My story begins in October 26, 2004, the day that Grand Theft Auto San Andreas came out. I played the game all the day long after waiting in line to get it. What I would say start my 3000GT addiction would be, mission 33 "Against all odds". Upon arrival to catalina's place I instantly notice the pearl white "Buffalo" car with the dual round headlights sitting in her drive way. I was like "woaw thats a nice car, I must find one in real life that looks like it"

Long story short, I bought a few cars before the 3000gt and then on 2009 I came accross a pearl white 96 Base model 3000gt. I then knew my life would change forever. After receiving my first compliment from a girl at Mcdonalds about how rare and exotic it looked, I then knew that my mind was made up and I would become addicted lol.

Moved to oregon in 2011, bought a 94 SL and had it until 2 months ago, I worked on it even when it didnt need work, I drove it sometimes for no reasons, I wake up in the middle of the night just to go drive, look at it, or just sitting and sleeping in it. Then recently in December 2012, I bought my first 95 Pearl white VR-4 Woaw!! what a difference, I only payed $4900 and it had 107xxx on it. great deal, I did something so risky due to my love for the car. I met guy on craigslist, I brought $1000 cash non-refundable to hold it for 2 weeks and no collateral on my part so he could have simply part with the money but i'm glad he didnt lol. Today i'm still driving it, I get withdrawals If i dont drive, It got so bad that my girl ordered the toy 3000gt from 3sx.com just so i can have a 3000gt to stare at before bed each night lol (insane) i couldnt sleep without driving first, I couldnt wait until its daylight to come up with reasons to drive very long distances. even if its my last $20, I would put gas just to drive to 90mi for no reason back/forth. I love the VR-4. It help my self esteem so much and thats crazy. is that normal lol ???

Sorry for the long write up i just tought i'd share, whats your story ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I live in a primarily military town, as a result the car market here is huge. GI's love their nice cars. About 8 years ago a beautiful red 94 3kgt SL was sitting on the side of a busy road for about 6 grand i believe. My brother who had just started driving fell in love with the car, and gathered up the money to buy it. Unfortunately while my mom and him were on the way to get it, my good friend at the time's brother bought the car right before him.
Within the first month he blew the engine trying to "see what it could do". He put 20 inch chrome rims on it, borla exhaust, and a new intake as far as i can tell. then when i turned 16 and was working like a slave at wendys with nothing to spend my money on, i decided to buy a "sports car" but i had no idea what. I didnt know shit about cars and i almost bought a white 2000 celica (LOL). well i was at lunch in high school and my good friend said that his brother was selling that car because he was getting stationed somewhere else. To make this short, i went and looked at it, 40k on a rebuilt motor, body and interior in excellent condition. i bought it for 3 grand and have been in love ever since. will never get rid of my baby. I wasnt her first, but ill be her last and her everything.

#4 ·
Nice writup Immith,
For a second there, i tought I was the only one who was that attached to the 3S. Glad i'm not alone lol

@3krazygt, i'm not that attached bro, theres no way!!!, the precats would get in the way anyways hehe : )

#5 ·
im not addicted to mine whatsoever. kinda to a point where i want something else, something different...yet i find myself wanting a 944, something i've already had. i am a porsche addict. the only thing i truely like about the stealth, awd and 300hp...but a 99 911 offers that...with much better backroad capabilities

#6 ·
You asked so... When I was little my parents drove the MOST embarrassing looking cars (to me at the time). I swore my kids would never be embarrassed like I was. Kids are mean, ya know? So I didn't just want a good looking car for me, I wanted it for them, too. I just had no idea how much I'd fall in love with this car.

In late 1999 I saw a 1st gen 3000gt dark green in town on a lunch break. I loved the way it looked & followed it hoping it'd stop so I could see what it was. Few weeks later I saw a red vr4 on the front of a used car mag at the grocery store for $9999 at a crap 3rd hand car sales lot. I took home the mag, called the #, it was sold already. I had no idea I could afford a car that looked that good. So called around to dealerships far & wide, nobody had one. A few months later I get a call at work from a dealership that *just* got one in on trade. I left work, went on a test drive with the sales guy driving because the seat adjuster was broken. He knew how to drive, downshift like a pro, showed her off as best he could, and she didn't complain, more it was like she was begging for harder faster longer~ great attitude, so I said yes.

Yeah, I didn't even drive it before I bought it, just told him to drive it for fun & lets see how it sounds. Traded in my negative equity toyota with the help of a co-signer (made a deal with a devil) but I was not leaving the 3000gt there. She looked like she needed me as much as I wanted her. In white pearl glory on 4wheels under the car lot lights just begging to be driven, by someone like me who would never abuse or dent her. About 7 hrs later drove off with the car in the then fixed driver seat. More than 4 cops tailed me on the way home, 2 in my own town, but we made it safe and sound.

Every night for months I'd check the driveway to make sure she was okay and tucked in safely. Religiously I vacuumed, dusted, cleaned, waxed & polished every square inch of her learning every curve scratch and paint imperfection. We'd sneak out for drives every lunch hour at work, making full use of the banked corners on the old country roads to the east. Every excuse in the world to drive near and far, weekend trips of 2k+ miles, grocery trips just for 1 thing at a random store.

I introduced her to the most wonderfully caring intuitive mechanic on earth, and explained to him that she doesn't like to be abused, they became best friends through thick & thin, the only other person on the planet to drive her. No boyfriend or friend dares to get behind her wheel because they know her & me are inseparable, and I'd kill them if she got wrecked so she knows she's safe as mine. I never leave her alone anywhere out of sight for long and always park under the lights by the security cameras if I must leave her in a parking lot.

I'd take her for a freeway drive in the fast lane just to blow off steam when the emissions test guy had to touch her for smog checks. I glared at him for violating her and she'd throw a fit with her anti-lock brake light. After the freeway she'd turn off the dash light & all was good again. The nice thing about her being 20yrs old now is no more gross emission guys sitting in her, touching her or probing inappropriately. Careless guys have no idea how special she is.

I found ebay autos and started buying her the interior pieces she was missing here and there, new this and that, spending every last dollar and making her feel complete. My neighbor liked her a lot, too, so he bought one of her Stealth cousins and we traded rims. He helped me give her a new fender paint job and we had fun comparing his stealth with her. I could leave her at home now and knew he'd watch over her for me and nobody would steal her away. Still sad he moved away with no more good guys to tinker around in the summer sun making her better.

We've been through 4 states together, Nevada is the best, she's been to 9k feet elevation in the summer, around all the good corners and never ever slipped or leaned over, sputtered hesitated or jerked. Her tires are glued to the pavement no matter how much fun we have, she never ever let me down. Its like she was built for the corners that I love so much. I bragged too much to my Dad and had to tell her that we were all going for a drive, letting him drive her was okay, and so he finally and then he understood my addiction.

She never misbehaves around cops she keeps her cool, but has taken 20mph turns at 50 when it was important, without complaining one bit. I've never got stranded anywhere and refuse to drive with the cel or any other warning lights on more than a mile, though the tow truck guy and me are friendly lately.

She's gotten me to family in emergencies, home safely all these years, to heaven on the wide open roads, and into a state of zen when life goes to hell. She is so much more than just a car. But few people understand just how special, how perfectly we fit together, how we've been there for each other, crying, laughing, hiding, showing off, playing and working. I take good care of her & she takes good care of me. I never did get her to 7k rpm redline and only over 90mph twice (once for fun, once for an emergency). She's had an easy life.

Its been 12years and I still never park her on the street overnight, and still look out the house window to make sure she's still there safely in the driveway, and watch over her to make sure no mechanic takes her past 5k rpm stomping on the gas like they sometimes do in the shop bays. But I admit, I've finally stopped going outside every night to dry her off & say good night, but I still apologize when she has to start in the freezing temps. She was and is my dream car. I'm really going to miss her because cars really aren't forever... and I sure could use a truck, LOL!

#7 ·
Hahaha You guys are hilarious with your addiction stories. I like my cars, but they are just that- cars.

I really like the looks of the GT. I thought Stealths were ugly and didnt know they were the same car with uglification by Dodge!

I found one on ebay at a not-too-far-away dealer and had the winning bid. It had a rod knock. Not from lack of lube but from some IDIOT who didnt know how to torque fasteners. I found the undamaged rod bolt and nut in the oil pan!

Lots of small things fixed over the years, and I still have a long list of things to do this year, but its still the funnest car I have ever owned.

-SP

#9 ·
I was 15 years old and about 3 months from being 16. I saved up 1000$ and than sold my dirtbike for 1200$ a total of 2200$. my dad asked me what kind of car i wanted. I told him not a truck and must be 2 door. other than that i did not car what it was. he was/is the type of guy that would not let me get a foreign car....ha...

so a few weeks goes by and both him and i had been looking. one day he came home and said i found you a car! its a 2 door black coupe and its a 1994 dodge stealth

I had never heard of one before so i was confused at the time. we got in the car and drove about 30 minutes . there she was...sitting down by the road parked by the ditch. it was black with black 16 inch rims and after market mufflers. the price tag was 2500$

I start talking to the guy with my dad and the man who owned it was 55 or 60 years old with a huge basket ball size tumor on his chest. i dont know why he was selling the car but i had a hunch. i offered him 2200 and he took it. it also came with the big thick manuals and the original rims.

the guy was a dodge fan for sure. he had the stealth . a dodge ram. and 2 srt4 neons.

so i get the car home and replace all the brakes. fix pin holes in mufflers.

I hadnt even driven the car yet....it was a manual and at the time i could not drive one.
so my dad showed me how and i figured it out quick enough to drive to school the first day i had my license. i got a job at a restoration shop...saved up 800$ . gave the money to the owner of the shop and he repainted my car and fixed all the little dime size dents. she was perfect now...so i thought... ever since paint i wanted more done to her. next was speakers/ radio. than hid lights. than headers. full exhaust. CAI. engine dress up. konig 18s. tires. megan coil overs. 99 lifters. powder coated valve covers. light weight pulley. 60k tune up. TT plenum. fuel loop. soooooo much more. and it will never be done because here comes the twins in a few months :) .

my dad soon found out it wasnt a true dodge lol. but he doesnt mind so much. I am now 18 and i have my sports car. and finally my dad got his. (2012 camaro...yeah hes that kind of guy) lol. though i did convince him to put a injen cold air intake on it and a custom grill and cat back.

any ways. im addicted

#10 ·
I have owned a bunch of these cars the whole time looking for a 96 Stealth R/T or R/T TT I found one 3 months before I was sent to Germany by the army and I had to leave it with my dad for 2 years or so. I came to Europe and unlike most army people I didn't go for the BMW or Audi I had to find a 3000GT. I bought my Euro TT sight un seen from someone 2 hours away I had it towed back to me fixed it up and now I have a RHD and a LHD 3s

#11 ·
Thank Gran Turismo that I have this sickness we call a hobby. All the other Japanese super cars don't have awd. If the Gtr was available here, I'd still get a 3000gt. 1st gens are super sexy especially in black or fiji blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.