Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Need some help installing 2002 Montero Rear View Mirror

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  ChargerX3 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked this up. Its auto dimming and has a built in compass and temp sensor. Has 4 wires that i am trying to figure out where they go. Blue seems to be +, black -, brown ?, brown/black ??.

Has anyone hooked one of these up yet, or have a diagram? I can get it to turn on. The compass seems to work, but the temp is stuck at 0C.

Thanks.

#6 ·
My experience is there is a temperature probe in the front bumper or grill area for the temp sensor, you may need that as well. That is with most domestics however, such as the grand caravan, but appears to hold true for the Montero. Take a picture when completed, I may want to add this to my stealth this spring as well.

Compass would be built in the mirror.

Monterosportonline.net Forum - Sensor-Temp

#9 ·
i have an auto dimming from a jeep cherokee installed. it has 4 wires

power
ground
reverse
drivers mirror

the drivers mirror was so the rearview could send power to it to dim it

the reverse was so when you backed up at night it wouldnt dim the mirror

naturally i deleted the drivers mirror wire because our cars dont have that function.

#10 ·
I see. That would make sense. I will have to add power to one then to see what happens.

Here is a pic i too early this morning. Love how it looks. The glass in it is much nicer than the ones in ours as they tend to fog, or fade a bit. In the top right is where the deg/compass are. It then has photo sensors on the front and back to adjust to daylight.

#11 ·
Looks nice. Am I safe to assume it just slides over the factory windshield mount?

#14 ·
Sort of. Had to leave town for the holidays, so i didnt finish. Was rewiring an ignition power line to the top, so as to not kill the battery with the compass or temp always going. Still need to get the temp sensor off the montero though. Looks to be located in the front bumper. If it proves to be too difficult i may just skip that sensor.

#15 ·
Most likely it is a Gentex mirror. Pretty much every mirror I have pulled has been a Gentex. The wiring colors will be different for each model bu the wire position will be the same.

First thing I would need to know is how many Pins you have on your connector? Not Wires but pins.

Then what pins have wires on them? "With the connector facing you and the clip at the top"

They make a couple different connectors Most are 7 or 16 pin. & pin is your standard for Autodim w/compass and Temp. I have seen a couple 5 pins out there.

Here are the pin locations, ignore the wire color:

7-pin: (*required connection; **required if you have a temp display)

* PIN 1 = PINK = POWER = +12 volts*
* PIN 2 = BLACK = CHASSIS, GROUND*
* PIN 3 = LIGHT GREEN = BACKUP LIGHTS
* PIN 4 = GRAY = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
* PIN 5 = PINK = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
* PIN 6 = DARK GREEN/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**
* PIN 7 = BLACK/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**

16 pin: (*required; **required if you have a temp display)

* 1 = Grey = not used
* 2 = Bare = Microphone
o OnStar Mirrors
* 3 = = "Passenger Air Bag on" notification
o some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
* 4 = = "Passenger Air Bag off" notification
o some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
* 5 = = auto day/night signal from LH outside mirror
o If you have a dimmable mirror, the rearview mirror can dim it with this and pin 16
* 6 = Brown = Temp probe connection**
* 7 = Green/Black = Temp probe connection**
* 8 = Black = Ground*
o Common to Pin 9
* 9 = Light Green = Reverse Dim Inhibit
o Common to Pin 8, +12V from reverse lights to disable dimming
* 10 = Gray = Microphone
o OnStar
* 11 = Dark Green/White = keypad signal (out)
o OnStar - multiplexed signal
* 12 = Light Green = keypad +5v supply (in)
o OnStar
* 13 = Yellow = +12V switched (ignition)*
* 14 = Yellow/Black = Green LED signal
o OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
* 15 = Brown/White = Red LED signal
o OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
* 16 = = day/night signal to LH outside mirror
o If you have a dimmable mirror, the rearview mirror can dim it with this and pin 5

Back up signal wire is used so that the mirror does not dim when you are backing up. Outside mirror signal wires are for those cars equipped with left/right side mirrors that auto dim also. Signal comes from the main center rear view mirror.

You can get a new temp sensor from ebay with the wiring very cheap:
Brand New Gentex Mirror Temp Sensor Fits Ford Chevy GMC | eBay

You can even get the complete wiring kit from ebay also if you need it:
gentex mirror wiring | eBay

I used to pull these from cars and sell them so I have seen plenty of these and can help you get it wired in. Best to test the wiring first before hard wiring it into the car just to be sure you have everything correct.

For the Temp sensor, you want to mount it someplace that does not get consistant airflow when moving and is not to close to the engine as you don't want it reading the engine heat. I mounted mine right above the ABS pump, back side of the headlight bucket. Thats far enough away from the engine and should be far enough up to not be getting air flow from the front bumper inserts.

#16 ·
Great info Gonzo! Ill probably try to get the whole harness and sensor on the cheap first. Mine would be a 7 pin model, but cannot recall all of what was populated. Was wondering where to tap into the 4 plug harness up in the top of the unit where it will be hidden away. Also, where did you decide to tap in for acc power?

#17 ·
On mine I ran all new wires. I was hoping to tap into the power on the dom light but it is a constant power source. So I ran new power down to switched source on the fuse block.

So if your is a 7 pin it would be wired like so:

* PIN 1 = POWER = +12 volts*
* PIN 2 = CHASSIS, GROUND*
* PIN 3 = BACKUP LIGHTS
* PIN 4 = Empty
* PIN 5 = Empty
* PIN 6 = TEMP SENSOR**
* PIN 7 = TEMP SENSOR**

I never ran a wire to my backup lights. If I recall it is a ground signal so I either had to ground it or just not connect it. Simple test is to use electrical tape over the rear sensor on the mirror and shine a flash light onto the front photo sensor "Black Dot" With just the power/ground hooked up the mirror should din. If it doesn't then ground the back-up light wire and re-test.

#18 ·
I just saved myself the head ache and bought a home link harness off ebay for like 30 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.