Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

I Dropped A Small 12mm Socket Here...

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  BLACK94TT 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I just got my top manifold taken off but, of course, I ran into a slight issue. I dropped a small 12mm socket in the back of the engine. If you look at the picture, it fell right by the Oil Supply Line Bracket Bolt. I tried finding the socket for a good hour but just cant seem to find where it went. Is it okay if I just left it there? It fell quite a distance down from hearing the socket drop like Plinko from the Price is Right.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
prob by the coolant lines and fell into a rear bracket. Just pop off all of your intake pipes and reach back in there with the motor cold.

#4 ·
Yeah I took of the pre-turbo pipe for the rear off along with the intake manifold and I still can't get my hand to feel anything. I can't see anything either back their unfortunately.

Just turn it upside down and shake it.

Don't you wish that was an option!!!

No, you're fine. It just went into the time machine. Someone in the future will get your 12mm socket when they least expect it!
Damn I wish I could just shake it out lol. :muahaha:

Cool thanks lawdogg. Yeah there is no way I can see or feel any socket. It basically followed the bracket all the way down and must of curled somewhere underneath the engine.

#12 ·
Just turn it upside down and shake it.

Don't you wish that was an option!!!

No, you're fine. It just went into the time machine. Someone in the future will get your 12mm socket when they least expect it!
Seriously!!! When I had my heads off I found some OLD looking sockets, washers and bolts down in the V-groove area under the heads and lower plenum. Looks like that have been there for 50 years!

#5 ·
I dropped a #10 socket down by my front turbo. I couldn't see where it went but had a magnet and poked down where I thought it went. I didn't get my #10 back but I got a 9/16 socket that someone else had lost. I also lost a #10 deepwell by the back turbo. Couldn't find it either. I just pulled the motor for a rebuild after spinning a bearing and got both of them back. :qgiggity:

#8 ·
I cant just not find things like this, lol. I would take the whole thing apart just to find it if it were mine lol. Lucky for me its never came to that. Usually I only have to get extremely pissed before I manage to take a break and come back and finally get it somehow.

#9 ·
You should be fine...In my last TT I had, I found a 12mm wrench down in that area, and that didnt seem to have any negative effects before I found it lol

But I did come out with an extra wrench which was nice!

#10 ·
Here's the old wives tale method, drop another and watch where it goes, insert big smiley here.
Or the science method, reload and try again to see if it happens again.

I prefer the roughneck method, scrapyard with a big electromagnet crane, guarenteed to pull anything out of hiding. Lol

#11 ·
Thanks guys! Although I am not quite sure what Grandpa Poser is talking about...

Man - Yeah I hate leaving stuff in the engine bay but I am not about the hoist the engine out just to find a socket lol. If it was inside the engine internally then of course I would definitely find the bolt.

I am glad I am not the only one with a 3000gt tool box in the engine bay.

#14 ·
While removing my egr stuff I dropped at 12mm socket down between my rear turbo and the lower heat shield. Since I didn't have a magnet, I fished around down there for around 45mins to an hour, then I gave up and made my friend bring me one of his 12mm sockets. Lol. Maybe someday I'll find it again...maybe someday...

#16 ·
is there a code for 12mm bouncing around on the manifold?

think how much a crank weights and its mass being turned and accelerated and deaccelrated......that a lot of fource.....

now think of a chrome 12mm wedge in the hard lines.......not a lot of force........

#24 ·
I lost the little rubber plug that goes on the TB biss port once (sucks because those things are almost $5)... but never a tool. I'm OCD, it will be found regardless... except that plug that disappeared into the abyss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.