Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Driving distance with broken radiator

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Fazz73jr 
#1 ·
I'm about to go to my mechanic to buy a new radiator. He is about 7 miles/15 minutes away.

Can I make it? Should I try it? I dont wanna damage the engine in the least.

Thanks.

#10 ·
How much is the radiator?? Also why dont you just put it in yourself..Its rather easy.

#4 ·
15 minutes will make it overheat, if its leaking bad. How bad is the leaking? You could do it, but depending on how much fluid your losing it could take some time. Bring like 6 gallons of water with you and just keep filling it. If the temperature goes above 3/4, you have to stop and let it cool down. Good luck

#6 ·
The mechanic is actually my girlfriends step-father, so it's no charge. He does amazing work. Thing is he wanted to look at it first before I buy the radiator. I looked at it myself and I'm just gonna buy it tomorrow morning and drive a bit and have it towed the rest of the way. lol

Thanks for the input guys!

#7 ·
I've had to drive quite a few miles a few times w/out coolant. I usually get up to around 50-60 and shut the car off and coast to about 30-35, pop the clutch and do it again. It keeps the temp in check.

#12 ·
I wouldn't do it. I got my car with a seized engine cause the last owner tried to do exactly this. They didn't bring enough water and tried to make it the last few miles. Well they didn't make it.

Block is not rebuildable, heads are probably cracked, and everything is full of rust, including the heater core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.