Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Rear Wiper Switch Repair Guide

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  geek373 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

This explains how to remove the rear wiper switch housing from the dash, how fix the broken rear wiper switch and where to apply the glue to the switch.

You can remove the switch housing by inserting a thin key between the housing and the dash and use it as a lever. When you get the housing out of the dash, unplug the wiring harness from the back of the switch. Once you have it out, you'll have the housing free to work on, as seen in photo #1.

To remove the switch from the housing, insert a thin flat blade screwdriver under the release tab and pull the switch away from the housing. Repeat for the other side of the tab and switch. See pic #2 for the location to put the screwdriver under.

You've probably noticed at this point that your wiper button is canted to the right. That's because part of the arm that the button uses to rock up and down is broken. Take a look at picture #3 and you'll see the exact piece that's broken, and that's where you'll need to apply the glue (this one is already fixed - note the dried glue). Push the switch back to the left until it's straight and flush with the arm, and apply the glue and hold it all in place for a few minutes until the glue dries. Once it's glued and dried, the switch will rock up and down and push directly in and will be back to full working order.

Push the switch back into the housing, and plug the switch back into the car. Push the housing back into the dash, turn on the ignition and test it. Enjoy the use of your rear wiper again!

Hope this helps - it got my rear wiper working again in a matter of minutes.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That worked great. Thanks!

#7 ·
I used the good old super glue!

#9 ·
I came up with a different way to fix mine using a nail and a drill. I drilled out the existing plastic stud on the switch all the way through the metal pieces in the switch and used a nail to act as a hinge. It should last for longer than the car's lifespan and is relatively easy to do.

Here's the switch with the hole cut through, notice where the previous plastic stud is missing, which causes the switch to cantilever to one side:

Here's where the nail is inserted:

Here's the other side:

Here's a top-down view inside the switch body:

Here's a side view of the switch body:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.